Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third failed water pump WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Worst stuff to use its to brittle for threads also it seems to not hold to the threads as well as you do them up its all just peels back, I use Loctite 3 on gaskets and thread.

Nahh, it's fine as long as the threads are clean and it is applied properly.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
If I recall correctly when I changed engines the 45,000km unit had black stuff coming out of it continually regardless of how much I flushed it prior to installation, thus why I installed that conical strainer in the top hose area. I feel much of this was because of various coolants being used which over long periods of time will react with the cast iron and create various types of corrosion that will eventually dislodge and become buoyant in the fluid that's circulating.
I still stand by using some type of filtration to stop any foreign matter from clogging up the thin cores in the radiator. As far as failing pumps are concerned as Skylarking has suggested one has to carefully examine a failed pump to see what's actually gone wrong with it. Obviously there is a seal failure that's allowing coolant to be forced past it and become visible but why the seal is failing is the question at large.

I'm starting to think that the bearings being used are of a much cheaper standard and thus developing a small amount of free play which in turn will impact on the seal and lead to eventual failure.

How does that sound ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The new look Trev !

troll-hero.png

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
How simple was all this farnarkling back in the good olden days ?
Pull off the bottom hose at the radiator, dump the ‘water’, replace hose, pull off top hose at radiator, put a piece of used stocking (had to be a women's stocking, not a spaceship’s stocking) over the radiator inlet, refit hose, fill with water, add some Bars Leaks if you were fastidious, run to operating temperature, fit radiator cap. Job done, 10 minutes.
No bleeding, no fancy coolant additives, repeat every a couple of months, and an explanation as to why I can’t be bothered farnarkling with basic car DIYs anymore.

If you take note of Trevor, the stocking goes in the bottom hose.

And just for the record, yes I clean most of my cars radiators out the old fashioned way.....Warm them up, drop the bottom hose and put clean water in

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Whatever you think nothing to do with a argument more to the point out what was said and the bs thrown into the mix without reading what was said from the start to understand the whole reason behind what was said. You lot are the trolls who need to go back and start reading from the start of a discussion instead of going out all gun hoe, a statement is not a argument, maybe things got mixed up when VC came on the seen he always loves a argument and throws people of what was said.

The only bs being thrown in the mix with this topic Trevor, is coming from you...I am the one that pointed it out

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Best thread sealant is locktight teflon thread sealer. I used it on a L67 I rebuilt two years ago and no leaks on the block.
I don't even bother sealing the pump bolts never had a pump leak in 100 I've done.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't even bother sealing the pump bolts never had a pump leak in 100 I've done.
Lucky you I had a leaking bolt just yesterday that needed resealing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have ordered a filter kit and a new pulley. Pulley should arrive tomorrow, filter kit probably 10 days, depending on how quickly he sends it.
Could it be pulley shim on the WP pulley causing the issue? I'm wondering if I should leave it off?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have ordered a filter kit and a new pulley. Pulley should arrive tomorrow, filter kit probably 10 days, depending on how quickly he sends it.
Could it be pulley shim on the WP pulley causing the issue? I'm wondering if I should leave it off?

Check to see that this pulley is actually running straight, without running the engine......This should help you determine whether to remove it or not....

As we all know, if it's off centred, it will cause the water pump bearing to fail prematurely :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
For water @losh1971 , if you have access to rain water, use that to keep the fluid topped up.....Better than town water ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.