Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third failed water pump WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
IF it's contamination the filter should help. If it's bearing you should be able to feel it.

IF the bearing are bad enough to cause seal failure you would probably hear the bearings with the engine running and you would most definitely feel it when turning the pump by hand. Waterpumps have 2 bearings set some distance apart in the housing, for there to be enough run out of the shaft because of bearing wear you would definitely feel it turning the pump by hand, if on the other hand the bearing assembly wasn't pressed straight into the housing then the seal is doomed before it ever left the pump factory.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Waterpumps have 2 bearings set some distance apart in the housing, for there to be enough run out of the shaft because of bearing wear you would definitely feel it turning the pump by hand, if on the other hand the bearing assembly wasn't pressed straight into the housing then the seal is doomed before it ever left the pump factory.
Did I read right a while back, that you have noticed poorly pressed bearings on some GMB pumps?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm at a loss to know which pump to fit next, since the previous two leading brands (Gates & GMB) are now junk? I could suggest a bad batch but three different suppliers over the time and all from the same bad batch surely not?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I'm at a loss to know which pump to fit next, since the previous two leading brands (Gates & GMB) are now junk? I could suggest a bad batch but three different suppliers over the time and all from the same bad batch surely not?

I know SFA about your water pump problem, but could all the pumps come from the same factory, with a different box and price. I know that some components we used at my last job, were from SA with an 'Australian owned' label, used to cost say $1 each, the aviation certified ones came from USA in an 'branded' box $3 each, and we were well aware that they were all made in China at the same factory for 10c.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know SFA about your water pump problem, but could all the pumps come from the same factory, with a different box and price. I know that some components we used at my last job, were from SA with an 'Australian owned' label, used to cost say $1 each, the aviation certified ones came from USA in an 'branded' box $3 each, and we were well aware that they were all made in China at the same factory for 10c.
This is what I am lead to believe. Apparently all GMB and Gates are from the same place and none are much good anymore. Rad tech reckons he has had GMBs leak, Gates leak and same with Duraflo. That leaves Machter, a well know POS....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did I read right a while back, that you have noticed poorly pressed bearings on some GMB pumps?

There was a picture on your other WP failure thread. Bearings had not been pressed in straight, you could clearly see the galling on the one side of the bore and a lip where the bearing ended up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep and I asked for more opinions because I wondered about that after you mentioned it. Apparently it will make little difference on the bearing and seal, unfortunately. I have found a gen pump on ePrey but it's from Lions Den. That bloke has bought up big on all the old discontinued stock and now makes a small fortune from selling his wares.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hi Crew

Maybe this pump discussion needs to be in its own thread?

Let's keep this for updates on your rides

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The damage on the pump I had was from manufacturing, it was a brand new pump which I stripped for modification.

But that could be because of the fitting, runout on the pully can cause a bearing to self destruct so without knowing this then it could be user error.

Could be, but again, if the bearings had failed you would definitely feel it when turning the pump by hand.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's interesting Trevor, think I will remove the spacer. The pump instructions in the box actually say to use the spacer if the car already has one fitted. It doesn't mention only needed on VN and probably only VN S1 at that. Mine had the spacer when I bought the car and I followed the instructions in the box the pump came with re the spacer. I will bin the spacer and see how I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.