Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service steering column lock nugget

Waykool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redlineS
My redline is a 2015 model, does not even have 40,000 ks on it yet, serviced regularly, but service steering column lock now coming up on the dash, took it to holden dealer, they put it on the computer, and code is saying steering lock module is faulty, and they told me it needs to be replaced for a little under $400, wheel has never been turned full lock in any direction when parked, and i never put any weight on the wheel getting in or out of the car, car has the dealers extended warranty on it until 2021, but holden 5 year warranty has ran out, dealer told me modules are not covered under their dealer extended warranty, i am not happy

Waykool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redlineS
And to add, even though the service steering column lock light is coming on every now and then, the wheel is still locking and unlocking ok, and can hear the module locking and unlocking the wheel, but have been told by dealer i will definatly need a new steering column lock module

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
And to add, even though the service steering column lock light is coming on every now and then, the wheel is still locking and unlocking ok, and can hear the module locking and unlocking the wheel, but have been told by dealer i will definatly need a new steering column lock module

Wait until it stops working, That's a bit rough with the dealer warranty.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
My redline is a 2015 model, does not even have 40,000 ks on it yet, serviced regularly, but service steering column lock now coming up on the dash, took it to holden dealer, they put it on the computer, and code is saying steering lock module is faulty, and they told me it needs to be replaced for a little under $400, wheel has never been turned full lock in any direction when parked, and i never put any weight on the wheel getting in or out of the car, car has the dealers extended warranty on it until 2021, but holden 5 year warranty has ran out, dealer told me modules are not covered under their dealer extended warranty, i am not happy
That is frustrating. Dealer warranty is not worth the paper it's written on !!!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
It sounds like the dealer warranty might be one of those 3rd party ones like AWN and they are sh!t.

I had the same message on multiple vfs over the years and never had a real issue just the message.
The zb throws the same message, i would not be worried unless it fails to lock/unlock.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Roadworthy item and part of the anti theft system, should last a lot longer than it has.
Statutory warranty should apply.
@Skylarking will be able to sort you out.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Roadworthy item and part of the anti theft system, should last a lot longer than it has.
Statutory warranty should apply.
@Skylarking will be able to sort you out.

The question is whether anyone had anything repaired/replaced under statutory warranty. Most dealer woould laugh if out of warranty and most people dont have time and money to fight them

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The question is whether anyone had anything repaired/replaced under statutory warranty. Most dealer woould laugh if out of warranty and most people dont have time and money to fight them
Yes, many manufacturers show reason when ACL rights are brought into the discussion. Sister and others I know have had their vehicle issues repaired under “good will“ once tney raised ACL issues with their car maker.

Almost always, when someone gets a good will repair, where they haven’t contributed any part payment, they should thank ACL statutory warranty. If someone’s made a part contribution, put that down to potentially a little ignorance of their ACL rights.

Problem with Holden at the moment is that they simply don’t give a shite about their customers and I suspect the also don’t care about their ACCC undertaking (any longer as I think it may have expired). Same with Holden dealers... Holden screws dealer which screws customer is the new old world... and they don’t care about ACL as they wont be around for the medium term going forward :(:mad:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yes, many manufacturers show reason when ACL rights are brought into the discussion. Sister and others I know have had their vehicle issues repaired under “good will“ once tney raised ACL issues with their car maker.

Almost always, when someone gets a good will repair, where they haven’t contributed any part payment, they should thank ACL statutory warranty. If someone’s made a part contribution, put that down to potentially a little ignorance of their ACL rights.

Problem with Holden at the moment is that they simply don’t give a shite about their customers and I suspect the also don’t care about their ACCC undertaking (any longer as I think it may have expired). Same with Holden dealers... Holden screws dealer which screws customer is the new old world... and they don’t care about ACL as they wont be around for the medium term going forward :(:mad:
Interestingly i checked out last invoice from Holden when they fixed my gearbox. The car came with 5 year factory warranty and it is less than 4 yrs old. The invoice was adressed to Allianz insurance. I have a feeling Holden had some deal where Allianz provided extended factory warranty in return for Holden getting green slips through them at the time. Maybe that's why they fixed it no question asked as they can charge Allianz what they want...