Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service steering column lock nugget

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In many countries when you park on a hill you have to point the front wheels towards the curb as a safety measure and the steering lock prevents the direction of them changing if the vehicle starts to roll.
I believe it’s also a legal requirement of a driver (in some auzzie states as well) to turn their wheels to curb when parking. Oddly not many seem to to follow this rule.

But I doubt the steering wheel will straighten much as the curb Itself or a fence or building near the car will stop it from going too far down the hill.

Regardless, such purpose is not mentioned in the above referenced ADR so its irrelevant unless another ADR references such (plausible thoughts the need sounds).

PS: I always apply the handbrake and place the car in gear when ever I park. I also turn the wheel to curb if on anything other than flat ground (so I don’t follow the rule in all instances either :p).

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
But I doubt the steering wheel will straighten much as the curb Itself or a fence or building near the car will stop it from going too far down the hill.

you would be amazed how quickly a wheel will straighten its self enough for a curb to push it in the direction of the hill.

if you need the answer to be included in the ADR as to the reason a steering lock is required you have basically answered your own question, antitheft.

steering column locks were proven as a useless measure more than 25 years ago as most of them could be broken easily by simple force with vehicle thefts being a huge problem and that is why they had to legislate the immobilizer.
they could have removed the lock requirement decades ago if it was just for antitheft.

it is not just australia that require the locks too as many countries world wide require the same setup so the answer to why is it still in the ADR might just be this un agreement which is mentioned in the ADR.

the only thing i can think of it being useful for is hill parking and keeping the wheels locked towards the kerb but if you drive down any hill that has parked vehicles on it you will see heaps of vehicles with the wheels straight :oops:

Waykool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redlineS
Wait until it stops working, That's a bit rough with the dealer warranty.
Have since complained to them about their dealer warranty, they just said not everthing is covered under that warranty, but other computer components like the ECU are, they are full of it, and how a steering column lock module can fail on a car that is only 5 years old, is serviced regularly, and has under 40,000 ks on the clock is a joke, it worrys me how long all the other computer and electrical components in VFs will last

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Interestingly i checked out last invoice from Holden when they fixed my gearbox. The car came with 5 year factory warranty and it is less than 4 yrs old. The invoice was adressed to Allianz insurance. I have a feeling Holden had some deal where Allianz provided extended factory warranty in return for Holden getting green slips through them at the time. Maybe that's why they fixed it no question asked as they can charge Allianz what they want...

I know of another industry where the manufacturer branded extended warranty is underwritten by a third party.

Like a bookie laying off his bets.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
See keyless entry hacking.
Well aware of relay attacks on PKES.

My comment had a touch of irony about PKES authorisation providing access and imobilisation security. I still think requiring a steering locks on supposedly secure vehicle access and imobilisation systems seems counter intuative to logic.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have since complained to them about their dealer warranty, they just said not everthing is covered under that warranty, but other computer components like the ECU are, they are full of it, and how a steering column lock module can fail on a car that is only 5 years old, is serviced regularly, and has under 40,000 ks on the clock is a joke, it worrys me how long all the other computer and electrical components in VFs will last
Forget about dealer warranty or manufacturer warranty.

Read up about Australian Consumer Law (ACL) and the staturoty warranty rights it provides. Rights that cant be excluded. .

All goods sold in australia must conform to ACL. The product sold must be of acceptable quality (defined as fit for purpose, acceptable in appearance, free from defect, safe and durable). The law doesn't specify a time period for your statutory warranty but it depends on teh nature of the goods, the price paid, statements and representations made as well as other relevant circumstances.

The Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING thread is long but there are lots of discussions about ACL, lots of links to appropriate references, discussions about safety, recalls, etc... There are other threads also discussing ACL within...All these are a must read ;)

Basically, a 40,000kms old vehicle should still operate like new and nothing should fail. If anything does fail, the product (car) has not met the acceptable quality definition under ACL and the seller must rectify the issue. More interesting is if the failure is not a minor failure, the buyer can choos the remedy which can be a full purchase price refund...

Once you've armed yourself with a bit of knowledge, go talk to them again and discuss the failure in terms of ACL and the product not being of acceptable quality, durable and safe...

Waykool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redlineS
Forget about dealer warranty or manufacturer warranty.

Read up about Australian Consumer Law (ACL) and the staturoty warranty rights it provides. Rights that cant be excluded. .

All goods sold in australia must conform to ACL. The product sold must be of acceptable quality (defined as fit for purpose, acceptable in appearance, free from defect, safe and durable). The law doesn't specify a time period for your statutory warranty but it depends on teh nature of the goods, the price paid, statements and representations made as well as other relevant circumstances.

The Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING thread is long but there are lots of discussions about ACL, lots of links to appropriate references, discussions about safety, recalls, etc... There are other threads also discussing ACL within...All these are a must read ;)

Basically, a 40,000kms old vehicle should still operate like new and nothing should fail. If anything does fail, the product (car) has not met the acceptable quality definition under ACL and the seller must rectify the issue. More interesting is if the failure is not a minor failure, the buyer can choos the remedy which can be a full purchase price refund...

Once you've armed yourself with a bit of knowledge, go talk to them again and discuss the failure in terms of ACL and the product not being of acceptable quality, durable and safe...
I do not have the time to argue with them, and they will just say the same thing back to me again, either the module is faulty or it is not, they say the code is showing that it is, but the steering lock is working fine, i either spend the money and replace it, or i just leave it until it fails, or nothing happens and the warning signal goes away, either way i am not happy, and not happy with the VF

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I do not have the time to argue with them, and they will just say the same thing back to me again...
I‘d suggest it’s a good idea to educate yourself on ACL as such knowledge may help you with other problems with a larger cost of repair... but it’s your time and your life to spend as you like ;)