Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this legal here?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yes it is a waste of time, absolutely.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Maybe you’ve got a problem with comprehension or just like to argue, I don’t know, but what is futile is pushing through bumper to bumper traffic trying to get to a breakdown or crash.

It’s something emergency services must struggle with every day. The fact police cars don’t have push bars is rather telling in my view ;)

And as an FYI, I hate being stuck in traffic with a passion so no idea how you could come to think that I enjoy gridlock, that’s just lame :rolleyes:

My view is that push bars won’t solve diddly... you are free to disagree but further discussion on this is pointless :cool:

I comprehend what you are saying...Don't you like a debate?

Yeah for what ever reason cop cars don't have push bars...I have no idea why...Only our gov't can answer that....There are advantages and disadvantages to them...But I see it more an advantage than a disadvantage, which I have outlined....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A debate isn’t putting words in someone else’s mouth

True...A debate is putting to differing side to a topic.....Your side is, it can't reduce traffic conjestion because they get stuck in traffic and there is no way they could move a stranded car, if they had a push bar.

My point is, it would reduce conjestion because they would move it and reduce the chances of other incidents occurring as a result of it.

The issue of pushbars not being a standard fitament is something the gov't could answer....

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
debate is fine, police pushing cars around to solve a bit of congestion is a waste of their time when there are already TRU's and towies. They will completely close major highways in a bad crash - the priority is the incident, not you. That's just reality.

that's why it just doesn't happen in Brisbane.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
number 1, traffic congestion absolutely is the lowest priority as it should be, so you have to sit in your car for an extra however long, you are fine and will survive.

number 2, towies are like flies - they are very motivated (money per job) and often get to accidents and breakdowns before anyone else. To the point you can always see them hovering around clearways just before time ticks over so they can swoop and tow away the idiots that park for too long.

I think a few of you just have no idea what the priority of emergency services are outside of a country town. Traffic congestion is absolutely the last priority and on top of that going round pushing cars is a waste of their time they have much more important things to be taking care of. I actually don't understand why it's still a thing in NZ. TRU and Tow trucks have this covered well and truly - to the point you pretty much ALWAYS see more tow trucks roll up to accidents than there are cars, they are never far away and are better equipped for the job. Honestly i think the average person in a city would be pissed if the police spent their time pushing broken down shitboxes instead of attending actual crimes or accident scenes and doing their job there.

I think you completely missed the point. These are only used on a small number of cop cars that only patrol the motorways in certain areas.

Been a local here in Auckland I can tell you those cops will beat tow trucks to the scene most times as the cops are already on the motorway, their base is located next to the motorway with an on ramp and in peak traffic times the cop cars are also stationed at various stops along the motorway. These cars only patrol the motorway and are NOT general policing units. Their only priority is the motorway and that includes keeping the motorway moving.

It may be different in Aussie but here in Auckland they very definitely work.

Interestingly, yes we used to have towies sitting about waiting by the motorways but these days you don't see that here at all (well, at least not in the areas I traverse), towies are to busy towing cars from paid parking these days making a quick buck. I actually think that those towies aren't allowed to stop along the clearways and stop lanes on our motorways. The cops have special parking bays along the motorways clear off the emergency stop lanes.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
that's where the TRU's come in, they are always ready to go. They are a joint project and can do more than just push, they can also provide basic roadside assist as they partner with RACQ. whacking a nudge bar on a cop car is a caveman move.

Traffic Response Units (TRUs) and TRU Max are roaming "on road" services that provide first response, quick clearance solutions for road incidents across south-east Queensland. TRUs provide basic breakdown assistance, incident clearance and traffic control services. TRU Max vehicles however are fitted with an additional vacuum pump to remove spills and road debris such as broken glass, gravel and diesel from the road.

These services are a joint initiative of the Department of Transport and Main Roads and Brisbane City Council, and are delivered by the Royal Automobile Club of Queensland.

TRUs work closely with the Queensland Police Service and other emergency services at incident scenes to keep the area safe and traffic moving.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Last time I checked Auckland wasn't in Queensland ;) We too have a traffic incident unit that responds to incidents along with emergency services but at the end of the day the cops are still the first response to any incident on the motorway.

At the end of the day, having these things fitted on cop cars that are with the Auckland motorway unit gives the cops another option and if these are still been fitted then clearly there must be a reason because it won't be cheap to fit em.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I broke down a few years ago, in the middle lane of a three lane highway at peak hour (the old Tonkin Hwy / Collier Rd intersection for those playing in Perth).

Two coppers pushed my car by hand around the corner with the third copper in the police car following slowly behind with lights flashing.