Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this legal here?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Two coppers pushed my car by hand around the corner with the third copper in the police car following slowly behind with lights flashing.
Did you have your handbrake on lightly :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
debate is fine, police pushing cars around to solve a bit of congestion is a waste of their time when there are already TRU's and towies. They will completely close major highways in a bad crash - the priority is the incident, not you. That's just reality.

that's why it just doesn't happen in Brisbane.

It doesn't happen anywhere in this country that I am aware of, but the debate being clearing conjestion as quick as humanly possible would occur if police cars were fitted with push bars, providing they got to an incident before towies or the TRU's (in QLD) and the incident in question is suitable to have a car pushed via a push bar....

Yes you will be stuck in traffic as a result...No question there...But the sooner it is cleared the sooner the traffic starts flowing again....No brainer that one....Personally this is the part which seems to be missed....

But hey, we can hope or dream that cop cars will be fitted with push bars, but in reality I can't see the gov't coughing up for them

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Last time I checked Auckland wasn't in Queensland ;) We too have a traffic incident unit that responds to incidents along with emergency services but at the end of the day the cops are still the first response to any incident on the motorway.

At the end of the day, having these things fitted on cop cars that are with the Auckland motorway unit gives the cops another option and if these are still been fitted then clearly there must be a reason because it won't be cheap to fit em.

Just out of curiosity...Do you actually get the show motorway patrol on TV over there? If so, does it actually resemble the way the cops operate on the motorways over there or is it like a lot of reality TV shows and scripted to the point of being way off the mark?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't watch it much, It's not scripted but I do think some of the coppers just like the camera and put on a bit of a show. Personally I don't agree with a fair bit of what happens and the application of the law in certain circumstances.

Just this week I passed a car pulled over on the side of the motorway and there was a camera man filming so it's definitely still been produced.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just out of curiosity...Do you actually get the show motorway patrol on TV over there? If so, does it actually resemble the way the cops operate on the motorways over there or is it like a lot of reality TV shows and scripted to the point of being way off the mark?

i've seen a bit of it and i find it hilarious and most likely a vehicle for nz police PR because it just looks like fantasy land, most coppers you run into are complete jerks even if you've done nothing at all and just give you a hard time.

It doesn't happen anywhere in this country that I am aware of, but the debate being clearing conjestion as quick as humanly possible would occur if police cars were fitted with push bars, providing they got to an incident before towies or the TRU's (in QLD) and the incident in question is suitable to have a car pushed via a push bar....

Yes you will be stuck in traffic as a result...No question there...But the sooner it is cleared the sooner the traffic starts flowing again....No brainer that one....Personally this is the part which seems to be missed....

But hey, we can hope or dream that cop cars will be fitted with push bars, but in reality I can't see the gov't coughing up for them

clearing congestion as a priority is and i'll say it again a poor allocation of police resources especially when you start pushing them round with police cars.

you might think that you are so important that the police making sure you get to the pub on time should be their number one priority, i hate to break it to you.... again, but your time is not their concern, dealing with the scene as it presents is and most cities have already set aside resources to clear incident areas.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
i've seen a bit of it and i find it hilarious and most likely a vehicle for nz police PR because it just looks like fantasy land, most coppers you run into are complete jerks even if you've done nothing at all and just give you a hard time.

clearing congestion as a priority is and i'll say it again a poor allocation of police resources especially when you start pushing them round with police cars.

you might think that you are so important that the police making sure you get to the pub on time should be their number one priority, i hate to break it to you.... again, but your time is not their concern, dealing with the scene as it presents is and most cities have already set aside resources to clear incident areas.

Your opinion is it's a waste of police resources yet I see it as a chance to free up resources because it allows traffic to move sooner therefore less chance of an accident, which then clogs up resources as the police have to attend to dig through the reasoning behind the prang.....

Oh and I'm not insinuating it should be a priority, however should they have to attend a minor accident, or a passing by a break down, I can't see it being a problem to move that obstruction

As for most cities having a dedicated TRU team....QLD is the first I have heard of with one....Towies...Yes all cities have them, but the chance of clearing a minor bingle or a stranded car before the towie/breakdown service arrives only gets traffic moving sooner and reduces the risk of another minor accident, or another car breaking down which then adds to the conjestion....

Finally the N/Z cop series....Yeah, it might be a pr exercise, but I was using that show to find out whether they actually do use the cars to move others the way they do.......As for most coppers being jerks....You act like a jerk they treat you like a jerk...You get out and be polite to them , they do the same....That even applies to motorbike coppers, who have the reputation of being the biggest jerks around

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

I'll happily admit I've seen and heard about aussie coppers and they make the NZ one's look good by the sounds of things.

Yes it's all about attitude, both you as the person been pulled over and the copper doing the stop and yes these types of shows are definitely PR exercises. Apparently I have a short temper, well at least when it comes to coppers because I tend to get pulled over when others don't, does it have anything to do with what I drive? Maybe it how I look?

Yup, I see cops been productive all the time, just this morning there was one standing next to the motorway at a big onramp watching for cars with single drivers using the T2/Truck only lane. Definitely a good use of a coppers time, as is the other copper who likes to sit in a nice spot where it's hard to see him with his radar gun waiting to catch that speeder. Revenue gathering is certainly a priority...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'll happily admit I've seen and heard about aussie coppers and they make the NZ one's look good by the sounds of things.

Yes it's all about attitude, both you as the person been pulled over and the copper doing the stop and yes these types of shows are definitely PR exercises. Apparently I have a short temper, well at least when it comes to coppers because I tend to get pulled over when others don't, does it have anything to do with what I drive? Maybe it how I look?

Yup, I see cops been productive all the time, just this morning there was one standing next to the motorway at a big onramp watching for cars with single drivers using the T2/Truck only lane. Definitely a good use of a coppers time, as is the other copper who likes to sit in a nice spot where it's hard to see him with his radar gun waiting to catch that speeder. Revenue gathering is certainly a priority...

If you are nasty getting out, yes aussie coppers respond the same way....If you are polite, they respond the same way 99.9% of the time.....

I can only recall one pair of coppers being nasty to me for no reason.....Long story short, I was 600K away from home and got confused with my map...I saw a cop car so I pulled it over so I could get directions (this is 2 a.m and I was heading to a funeral)......Both coppers jumped out of the car, hand on their guns with a really bad attitude....Needless to say, they weren't very helpful at all.

As for coppers sitting on revenue duties.....Common practice, where they sit in the same place/s 99% of the time....Very very proactive.....

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
hey i know a copper he said traffic branch are all jerks too. dunno what made you guys immediately jump to thinking i'm the problem?