Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth upgrading from an SV6 to a SS?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yep trans tunes have pattern A, B & TUTD so the A is normal D for driving, B is for power mode stick to the left (but not moved to + -), and once u use TUTD its in that mode until back in D, u can then adjust all the different pressures, shift speeds/rpm, shift timing ect for each mode individually

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yes, I realise Fantale and LMF are very different in real life but if you look at pics on Carsales etc, depending on the shadow/lighting they can easily be mistaken. I’ve also seen both colours simply called ‘orange’ even on Dealership websites...I don’t think many people will buy sight unseen but if you did you could end up with a different colour to what you were expecting.

...and regarding manufacture year, I seem to recall for the last year of manufacture, Holden held back the MY17 classification until the beginning of 2017 builds??...other MY17 owners should be able to chip in here?? In other words I’m not sure if you will find MY16s in LMF, SG or SOAG...but happy to be corrected on this.
Yes you are correct with the MY17 year. I have MY17 Redline and was produced on January 10th with sequence 28XX within the 3XXXXX VF series 2 vin range. The first 2500 cars were US SS vehicles which did satrt manufacturing around November 2016 and were nearly the only vehicle produced from Holden in the December 2016 manufacturing month.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Having gone the other way for 24 hrs for my power steering recall, I can whole heartily say yes, it is worth it.
The tractability, power and most of all noise more than make up for the offset in fuel costs.

But it's horses for courses, choose where you want the balance of power/economy/noise and make your choice!
The grin on my face after trying "the one" told me all I needed to know :D

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Having gone the other way for 24 hrs for my power steering recall, I can whole heartily say yes, it is worth it.
The tractability, power and most of all noise more than make up for the offset in fuel costs.

But it's horses for courses, choose where you want the balance of power/economy/noise and make your choice!
The grin on my face after trying "the one" told me all I needed to know :D

Not enough powah for me, yet plenty enough fuel costs and function and comfort.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Not enough powah for me, yet plenty enough fuel costs and function and comfort.

There is never enough power! I had found that I'd gotten used to mine after a little while, not feeling that same rush. Having been driving my new daily car (2.5D 4x4) over the past two weeks, I'm relishing jumping in the (now) garage queen to get reacquainted

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Interesting discussion regarding the gear box, but I can say for me that was the biggest let down for the car.

Maybe I got a dodgy/worn box but the GM 6 speed was noticable slower at reacting and changing compared to the ZF 8 speeds I was driving in my parents car.

But the biggest issue I have with my auto box feels very "cluncky" and not smooth at gear changes at normal speeds, kinda like the old 4 speed autos in old 90s JDM turbo cars. But funny enough flooring it or driving it hard seem to make the shifts less clunky...

This was made more noticable when I recently bought a Mitsubishi 380 as a cheap daily and the 5 speed auto in that was more smoother at slow/normal speeds despite thr car been 14 years old with 176k kms.

Got the car booked in at a transmission shop for a gearbox service next week, hopefully that will fix/reduce the clunkyness.

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
Both of my comments related to the V8 or T6.

If you make a habit of taking off full throttle with either of these cars even without breaking traction they will both accelerate quick enough to draw the attention of the cops.

I’ve not always been the most sane of drivers and know the price you can pay for being over exuberant but I eventually learnt.

A few years back I was sitting at the lights in my HSV bopping away minding my own business with a young fella and his mates in an XR6 in the lane beside me doing everything they could to get my attention.

I kept looking forward and lit up the cam with a little rev just before the lights changed.

When it did turn green the XR6 took off like a scalded cat and I eased away, I could see the cop sitting 2 cars behind me before we even stopped at the lights.

The XR6 didn’t break traction (I don’t think it could have) but that didn’t stop the siren coming on and the cop scooting around the cars to pull him up.

I’m not a wowser and being critical, so have all the fun in the world, I know I use to and I have enough tickets and defects on record to prove it but I was just making a comment if all you want the car for is to accelerate hard from the lights then it will quickly loss it shine after you’ve been pulled over a few times unless you are as dumb as me and took forever to grow wise.

These days I love driving slow in fast cars.

I wouldn’t bother to tune an SV6 but that’s just me, I’ve never owned one to know if it would be worth it or not.

P.S. - It's pretty hard to full throttle a quick car from most lights and not edge out the speed limit, in fact I'd say almost impossible.

Nothing wrong with my manual VE SV6.
Much better box than the tremec in the SS manuals too.

1:1 in 5th rather than 2 overdrives in the tremec.

Plenty of torque between 2500-3500 around 600Nm iirc
Rarely ever go full throttle. Before I know it I'm at the speed limit with 50% even.
These days I leave the ESP button on in the wet

OTR - Full exhaust system and a tune.

Oh and manifold spacers between the plenum and the manifold are the main increase in torque.

Saying all this... In late 2021 the way fuel is going... I'm getting a Corolla Hybrid

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
Give me a rear drive Cruze with a 5.0 Holden V8 in.

That would be my ultimate.

Far better sound and high RPM reliability than the Chev V8s.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Give me a rear drive Cruze with a 5.0 Holden V8 in.

That would be my ultimate.

Far better sound and high RPM reliability than the Chev V8s.
Wow, those things flexed & the dashboard would skreeeek with the torque of the 1.8, it'd be a pretzel with the power & torque of a 2.5 like the Holden 5L has!! :)