Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VS Ute

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Thanks all great information and story’s. Just a little unsure about the bump stops leave them stock or run shorter ones??

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
Go Lovells, Sports low I think they call them. Stay away from the popular cheap Kings. VS ute is a harsh ride from factory and you don't want to make it worse by fitting inferior springs.
Great car. Just be careful though - if you carry any reasonable weight in the back it's likely to lower the rear even further unless you have auto ride adjustment like some European cars. I've never been a fan of lowering personally - just remember that Peter Hanenburger would have overseen the original suspension even though it might not be perfect. Good luck.

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
I won’t have to many heavy loads in it as I have a 97 hilux I use more for lugging larger things around this is just my daily that gets beaten on a little and I also race the car on the drag strip, just wanting it to sit lower as my rear springs in it now are already sagging

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Thanks all great information and story’s. Just a little unsure about the bump stops leave them stock or run shorter ones??
Check out this utuber in usa who is from melbourne.
Watch all the vids in sequence and it will show the issues with lowering a VR/VS ute

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
I am gonna throw out some of my bad ideas I got from tbat video
1. Is it possible to grind it down slightly
2. Would cutting it off then welding it back on closer to the rail
3. Fully remove and just have a rubber block to act as a safety net to stop it from hitting the rail
Would any of those be a reason for the vehicle to be defected? Or would any of them be able to work or lessen the issues?

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Also to just add to that I do remember seeing that my driver side bump stop the rubber was all cracked and ripped. If I was to pull the rubber off and put a thinner one on would that give me much more room or jack all?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Think of the potential scenarios.

You're 18 in small accident...voided insurance
RBT or pulled over...get defected.
Rego..fails inspection & buy stock parts you butchered to get it passed.

You probably knew the answers already lol

Cheap & bodgey way only works if you don't get caught or fark up....nanny state nsw with more karens per capita than any other state

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Think of the potential scenarios.

You're 18 in small accident...voided insurance
RBT or pulled over...get defected.
Rego..fails inspection & buy stock parts you butchered to get it passed.

You probably knew the answers already lol

Cheap & bodgey way only works if you don't get caught or fark up....nanny state nsw with more karens per capita than any other state

as much as I hate to admit it, ^^^^^ makes a solid point, particularly these days..

I can get away with it, as my utes are not primary transport at all.. typically only drive them from my property to the tip 6 mins away.. and trailer them long distances to races etc.. so we are pretty safe as far as that goes..

If I had to pit either of mine, they'd be unregistered immediately LOL Also on E85 it chews through fuel like gtrboyy down the pub on a friday night :p

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Nice little update my super lows from lovells came in today, just finished installing them car is sitting nicely still got stock ride hight shocks and it isn’t to stiff with is nice but I will get around to changing them. Did not need to get a adjustable panhard rod the diff didn’t shift much. And I will be doing a wheel alignment after work tomorrow. Would like to thank everyone for the info :)
I will get some photos of it in the morning

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Glad to hear you chose Lovells. You won't be disappointed I don't think. Not sure how you will get on with standard shocks on shorter springs though. KYB rears can be run with standard and FE2 springs as they are a medium length. KYBs will improve the ride quality over stock Monroes.