Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Experience with non-genuine parts

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
While the general best practice is to go genuine with replacement parts, I'm keen to hear people's experiences with non-genuine stuff like radiators, electrical stuff, water pumps, gaskets etc.

My personal experience is hit and miss with non genuine stuff but a few years back I fitted a non gen starter motor to my SS for half the price of a genuine one and it was quieter and spun up the engine twice as fast as the genuine one I replaced. Hasn't missed a beat since fitting it so would definitely recommend one.

Are non genuine products getting better as technology permeates lesser manufacturing countries etc?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I mean some could argue that genuine parts don't equal quality either.

I've had some quality brand aftermarket parts that far exceed OEM quality. GM Stuff was built to a tight budget after all.

I don't buy into that argument that something must be superior because it's a genuine part. I'd buy the best part I could buy regardless of brand who makes it.

For example an aftermarket $1000 PWR radiator is going sh*t all over the plastic fantastic OEM radiator.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are better brands of aftermarket and some junks brands of aftermarket. Like Someguy said Holden had a budget to stick to. So on the most part gen is the go as its normally decent and not junk.
I have found parts from a reputable place tend to be better quality than Repco or SCA. OEX is decent for a starter motor, which I'm guessing you may have fitted? They do spin over better than the original ones. I try to buy AC Delco on smaller parts. I try if possible to buy certain items through wholesalers. I don't get the same price as the trade but prices tend to be way better than any local parts store.

Engine parts can bought cheaper and better quality from some JC sponsors direct or in some cases imported from the States.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When models are superceded and genuine parts are no longer offered throughout time, your only choice has been non-genuine....So it is a case of finding the non-genuine parts that are better than the others.

I bought a brand new radiator for my VC 12 months or so ago...Koyota was the brand....It set me back $300 ish....The other one I was offered was in excess of $600...Never asked the name as the price gave me a heart attack....

The radiator itself fitted up fine, does it's job and to date I have no issues with it.....So that $300 price difference meant I was $300 better off....

I reckon it was about 5 years ago I bought 2 brand new water pumps for my VC...I think they were gates or GMB (Can't remember). The first one I bought was the wrong one but silly me lost the receipt so couldn't return it....The 2nd one is still fitted to the car and working fine....

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
While the general best practice is to go genuine with replacement parts, I'm keen to hear people's experiences with non-genuine stuff like radiators, electrical stuff, water pumps, gaskets etc.

My personal experience is hit and miss with non genuine stuff but a few years back I fitted a non gen starter motor to my SS for half the price of a genuine one and it was quieter and spun up the engine twice as fast as the genuine one I replaced. Hasn't missed a beat since fitting it so would definitely recommend one.

Are non genuine products getting better as technology permeates lesser manufacturing countries etc?
Well if they're from quality brands, they're usually okay though if they're from some no name brand, just don't...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Water pumps you want genuine. GMB, Gates etc are well known junk.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Genuine my arse.
Bought a radiator from Zupps $400+ then a few weeks later needed one for the wife's car, so bought exactly same farking radiator, no difference to the Zupp one from Ripco on my account $160.
Water pumps from Bursons no trouble 3 years later.
Coils from Ripco no problem 5 years later.
I buy local not online so if there is a problem I can at least take the part back.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
1). I normally try to stick with OEM parts when it comes to the more complex electrical stuff (sensors, actuators, electrical components etc).

2). Ill use quality aftermarket brands for the complex mechanical stuff and critical items (struts, bushes, mounts, brake discs and pads, water pump etc).

3). I’ll have a go at whatever is cheapest if it’s a non complex or non critical item but the proviso is it’s got to be relatively easy to replace. If it’s a decent amount of labour involved to change the part out I’ll only use genuine or quality aftermarket. Have learned that the hard way.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Repco stock next to nothing for a V8 VE. They open after I start work and close before I finish. Repco are second from the bottom on my list of suppliers. Burson are on the bottom because everything is hugely expensive, fair bit dearer than Repco.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Anything bought from local shops has been fine. Random online stuff has been about 60/40