Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 slight miss at idle

Nick66

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 vf commodore
2016 vf commodore seems to have slight idling miss
Any ideas why?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I can't give you any useful answers, sorry, but does this site allow editing of a thread title?
You may get a lot of the knowledgeable people skimming over a thread called "VF Commodore" in a sub-forum that's entirely about VF Commodores, if it allows you to edit that title change it to something which mentions which engine the car has and the problem, eg. "SV6 slight miss at idle".

If you can't change it, maybe update the post to say what your car is, as there's some difference between the 3.0 V6, the 3.6 V6 and the 6.2 V8.

I mean it could be a fuel filter, air filter, a few tanks of yukky fuel, it might need spark plugs or even ignition modules, it could be a crank-angle sensor, etc.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
And to add to the above, as VF’s are smart, the electronics within may have some fault codes or error counts that can be checked which may give hints were to start looking. You can use a diagnostic tool to check such…

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I can't give you any useful answers, sorry, but does this site allow editing of a thread title?
I have edited it :)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
"that is characteristic of the engine" - Holden

jokes aside i think every single v6 vf i have owned has had that occasional miss while idling, its just an occasional hicup in the idle barely noticeable until you listen for it.
the zb does it too.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute

jokes aside i think every single v6 vf i have owned has had that occasional miss while idling, its just an occasional hicup in the idle barely noticeable until you listen for it.
the zb does it too.
My '16 SV6 Ute has an occasional fluff at idle and hasn't recorded a fault code. It's not often and quite random and can't be induced by any specific conditions. Generally, the SV6 idle is smoother in gear than my Redline (LS3) Ute.

I've never really driven a V6 ZB properly until the other day. It was an RS like the cops use and wasn't bad and actually drove, handled and went well.

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
My '16 SV6 Ute has an occasional fluff at idle and hasn't recorded a fault code. It's not often and quite random and can't be induced by any specific conditions. Generally, the SV6 idle is smoother in gear than my Redline (LS3) Ute.

I've never really driven a V6 ZB properly until the other day. It was an RS like the cops use and wasn't bad and actually drove, handled and went well.
The ZB was actually a good car to drive. 2 litre and also V6 were both good cars.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The ZB was actually a good car to drive. 2 litre and also V6 were both good cars.
I kinda wonder if they could’ve survived as an importer in Australia if they hadn’t tried to take the badge from the car that loyal customers were already pissed-off with them stopping production of, and then shoved it onto the back of a larger Camira made by a French company? People weren’t not-buying ZB’s because they were a bad car; and unlike Commodores made here, the number of local sales didn’t need to be large enough to support an entire factory.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I kinda wonder if they could’ve survived as an importer in Australia.
gm could have survived, they import to many other countries world wide but i think with au/nz they just didnt care to continue.

on the global scope of things au/nz was not worth their time and they knew their reputation was damaged so i think you will find that they explored the idea of importing a vehicle that had a decent platform and decent sales in the eu/na markets to replace the commodore and it failed their expectations so they decided to pull out entirely.

they should have dropped the commodore badge and just went with insignia or regal but i still think enough damage was done to the holden name to produce poor sales figures for the short term.
most of the hate was about the factory closures but the other auto manufacturers also closed over the years but they are still importing vehicles to au/nz today.

i would have been fine with them dropping the holden name and just using gm and then importing things like the cadillac cts/v or the camaro as the replacement for the commodore slot which are both available in 6 or 8 cyl.
these days it is all utes, suv or compact so the sedan slot was starting to die anyway.

now the trend is shifting to ev with almost every major manufacturer working on an ev lineup and new players joining the game with ev's which is going to push the price down.
the other thing we see is "(location) is banning petrol vehicles from 2035" which is purely designed to push manufacturers to accelerate the r&d into ev technology.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various

the zb does it too.
my LLT in my VE shakes around a bit at idle too, never really thought much of it as theres a million articles online about it being normal.