Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf lfx has a shudder or miss at low acceleration

benny005

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf sv6
Hey guys I have a 2013 vf sv6 lfx auto has 250000 klms I've recently replaced coils and plugs as I had a shudder or miss at low revs. After I changed them it seemed to go away but now it's come back. Anyone had similar problem ive been told to maybe look at the Injectors or the wiring harness for Injectors. Also the car is not throwing any codes whatsoever

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I have a similar issue on my 2014 SV6, which has just gone over 100k km. Given there are no other responses, I'll add my 0.2 cents worth (inflation adjusted). Doubt that I'm actually helping here, but more in commiseration.
It only does it when the car gets warmer, i.e. been driven around Sydney suburbs at low speeds - it feels like a very occasional miss when decelerating. Which made me worry about the transmission, given the number of stories about cracked torque converters.
I am not getting any codes either, or maybe it's my cheap device.
So far, I changed the plugs, got the transmission flushed and refilled. Also changed the differential oil, because why not at these kms. The rare shudder is still there, but now I'm so aware of it that I will notice any fault, and it may have been there for some time. These are not a smooth Honda engine.
Now I have changed the coils. Hoping for big things.
After I take the car on a trip to Canberra, I'll be able to say if the problem has gone away.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Here is a tip, no matter what you read and no matter what anyone claims the LF1, LFW & LFX really have less problems with AC Delco spark plugs than with others. Now some people are going to claim they run XXX brand and they work fine but 100's of places selling them and 99% selling fake Chinese copies you really don't know what you are running in your car.
Go to a dealer and buy 6 x AC Delco 19326703 and see if your problems disappear or continue changing parts until you run out of money and some smart bastard comes along and buys your car and puts in the right plugs and has a cheap car that everything has been replaced on.

YMMV but at least you will know that it is not the plugs.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Here is a tip, no matter what you read and no matter what anyone claims the LF1, LFW & LFX really have less problems with AC Delco spark plugs than with others. Now some people are going to claim they run XXX brand and they work fine but 100's of places selling them and 99% selling fake Chinese copies you really don't know what you are running in your car.
Go to a dealer and buy 6 x AC Delco 19326703 and see if your problems disappear or continue changing parts until you run out of money and some smart bastard comes along and buys your car and puts in the right plugs and has a cheap car that everything has been replaced on.

YMMV but at least you will know that it is not the plugs.
I'm going to say my milage varied and brand of plug makes no difference. Mine had had a weird shake every now and again its whole life. Thought it would be the plugs so removed the OE Acdelco for NGK and it was exactly the same. No worse or better.

I've since put it down as a characteristic of the engine. I've driven my parents VF and I felt the same shake and another extended family member agreed his does it as well.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm going to say my milage varied and brand of plug makes no difference. Mine had had a weird shake every now and again its whole life. Thought it would be the plugs so removed the OE Acdelco for NGK and it was exactly the same. No worse or better.

I've since put it down as a characteristic of the engine. I've driven my parents VF and I felt the same shake and another extended family member agreed his does it as well.
Three shakers hey!
Can't say I have ever felt a stock LFX shake to be honest unless you mean a little cam vibration at idle and I would not call that shaking.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Depends what you call shaking. The LFW sometimes shakes for a second at the lights which seems to happen when the show idle mode kicks in before it settles down. Have I been reading to much technical papers on my engine?

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Depends what you call shaking. The LFW sometimes shakes for a second at the lights which seems to happen when the show idle mode kicks in before it settles down. Have I been reading to much technical papers on my engine?
Having ridden Harleys for nearly 50 years shaking makes your teeth fall out and vibration gives you an erection :D

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Having ridden Harleys for nearly 50 years shaking makes your teeth fall out and vibration gives you an erection :D
So that's how you tell the difference?
And also, so what your saying is if you ever need to find the bloke in a pub who owns the Harley outside, look for the bloke with a boner and no teeth?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I have a similar issue on my 2014 SV6, which has just gone over 100k km. Given there are no other responses, I'll add my 0.2 cents worth (inflation adjusted). Doubt that I'm actually helping here, but more in commiseration.
It only does it when the car gets warmer, i.e. been driven around Sydney suburbs at low speeds - it feels like a very occasional miss when decelerating. Which made me worry about the transmission, given the number of stories about cracked torque converters.
I am not getting any codes either, or maybe it's my cheap device.
So far, I changed the plugs, got the transmission flushed and refilled. Also changed the differential oil, because why not at these kms. The rare shudder is still there, but now I'm so aware of it that I will notice any fault, and it may have been there for some time. These are not a smooth Honda engine.
Now I have changed the coils. Hoping for big things.
After I take the car on a trip to Canberra, I'll be able to say if the problem has gone away.
Well, the car's been to Canberra now and there is the same shuddering when accelerating slighly and occasional miss (?) when acclerating hard, although the engine is happy to rev out. Seems to be getting worse.
No DTCs, although my scanner is an Amazon low price special.

I'm ready to check the injectors, to discount these, but the PDF Service manual only mentions Q17 terminals A and B. I haven't found the diagram yet to work out what these are - I may have poor reading skills.
Can anyone here point me to a diagram that shows terminals A and B?