Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 engine oil recommendations

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Loud noises on cold start aren't piston slap, it's lifter noise and that's why different oils can have hydraulic effect on the lifter to eliminate rocker to valve clearance. A re-bore and new pistons set at the correct clearances is the only way to stop genuine piston slap noise. Piston slap can't be mechanically intermittent at a given temperature, it's impossible!

I haven't tried this in my LS3 engine yet, but Castrol Edge 5w30 A3 B4 (non-dexos), seems to quieten the valve train hot on my SV6 (LFX engine). On Dexos it seemed a bit tappy. Personally, I think the Dexos thing is rubbish and more to do with extended oil change intervals if at all. All GM engines need Dexos oil, yet you can spin a 500hp twin turbo BMW engine to 7500rpm on 5w30 A3 B4 along with any other manufacturer of performance and general road car engines.
similar always used castrol edge 5w30 in alloytecs tried 5w40 and didnt like it.

use edge 5w40 in my ls3 and cammed L98(tie bar liters no more than 40w) and no problems at all.

for summer the 40w makes sense

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
5W-40 is well with trying. It's good stuff. Edge and synpower are the ones I like. Hint, collect a sample of the oil you drain out so you can send it away for testing if the nose comes back and you want to know what was in it. My guess is Holden replaced the original 5W30 with a thicker grade.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Oils are oils... simples... :rolleyes:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The best would be Penrite 10 Tenths, 10w. If I was on the hammer a lot and revving it out a lot that's what I would be using.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
My mechanic tuner recommends Castrol Edge 10W - 60 Synth. The container says "Supercar" so it must be worth an extra few tenths.
That oil cannot be good for the lifters surely it's too thick.
From my research the highest Johnson recommend (the best lifter manufacturer) is a 50 hot viscosity oil.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Herein lies the rub, who's oil grade advice do you follow? to suit operating temp, lifter manufacturer or oil suppliers based on materials/clearances etc?

iu

It really is a minefield.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
From my research the highest Johnson recommend (the best lifter manufacturer) is a 50 hot viscosity oil
Don't know mate. I thought so too when told too. So far so good. I do like giving it a rev. Lots of Hi performance cars use that oil.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The best would be Penrite 10 Tenths, 10w. If I was on the hammer a lot and revving it out a lot that's what I would be using.

That's what I use, it's impressive stuff, you can try to hurt it but it just wants more. 50 weight to suit my clearances and style