Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Continuous issues

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If your battery is 13 years old, it might be time to retire it...

Jaydawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VES2Calais2010
If your battery is 13 years old, it might be time to retire it...
Yep can see that throwing voltage code. I don’t suppose you know anything about the intake/throttle body looking so rich?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’re not going see something “out of whack”. You need to physically locate, remove and clean each earth.

Disconnect the negative terminal first.

It requires some parts to be removed to access them. Others are already accessible.

You have gremlins. Step one. Clean all earthing points.

Download the factory manual and it shows where they are.

You can spend enough money to replace every part on the car to solve electrical gremlins and yet none of it is worth squat if the entire time it was poor harness earths.

Reactions: Lex

Jaydawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VES2Calais2010
You’re not going see something “out of whack”. You need to physically locate, remove and clean each earth.

Disconnect the negative terminal first.

It requires some parts to be removed to access them. Others are already accessible.

You have gremlins. Step one. Clean all earthing points.

Download the factory manual and it shows where they are.

You can spend enough money to replace every part on the car to solve electrical gremlins and yet none of it is worth squat if the entire time it was poor harness earths.
Cheers ol mate, I’ll see what code pops up next, hopefully none and go from there.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
You definitely wanna replace that battery mate I’d say that’s your issue and as for the oily throttle body that’s normal it comes from the pcv system

Jaydawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VES2Calais2010
You definitely wanna replace that battery mate I’d say that’s your issue and as for the oily throttle body that’s normal it comes from the pcv system
Yeah no dramas. I’ll replace it before proceeding with any other attempts to rectify the codes. No codes as of yet today but they will return had I gone for another drive after getting to work.
Thanks bud.

Jaydawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VES2Calais2010
Just a quick update. Battery changed code changed. Now running P0430 catalytic system efficiency below threshold ‍♂️. It’s a new code but I’m reluctant to just replace the cat as I’m not sure it’s going to solve anything. I’m certainly open to suggestions or advice but I feel like I’m going around in circles.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Codes don’t mean you have to change the sensor or part. They are often doing the job they are designed to do, which is to create a log when the data parameters are exceeded.

They are simply a clue. A place to begin an investigation.

What scan tool are you using for this?

Random fault codes, get a better scan tool and go through all harness earths, remove them with the negative battery terminal disconnected. Clean them. Clean their threads. Clean their surfaces. Snug them back up.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I got a low voltage O2 sensor code after some oil dripped into the plug/connection. You've probably already done it, but I'd spray the absolute crap out of every single connection with electrical/contact cleaner.
It's a pain in the neck & not for everyone (including me), but you'll have to get hold of a wiring diagram & see what lies in the chain before the sensor throwing an error code.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just a quick update. Battery changed code changed. Now running P0430 catalytic system efficiency below threshold ‍♂️. It’s a new code but I’m reluctant to just replace the cat as I’m not sure it’s going to solve anything. I’m certainly open to suggestions or advice but I feel like I’m going around in circles.
The good news from this code is IF you need to change that 02 sensor it would probably be one of the rear 02 sensors which are the easier and cheaper ones on the car. Hard to say if that needs doing or not. Is the car ok to drive for a week and see what happens with codes?