Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oils ain't oils Sol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, more oil volume = lasts longer and has more cool capacity…

But what’s annoying is that with truck engines, they can design them to get 150,000km service intervals (as discussed in the video you mentioned and I posted above) yet our LS3’s require 15,000km service intervals…

I wouldn’t mind more modern engine metallurgy and oil chemistry that meant I’d only have to change the LS3 oil once every 7 years of daily use (or never if it’s a garage queen).

Could always fit one of those full bypass filter systems as discussed in a previous thread.

Truck engines also have a lot less cold starts which is where a lot of issues occur.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Could always fit one of those full bypass filter systems as discussed in a previous thread.

Truck engines also have a lot less cold starts which is where a lot of issues occur.
My garage queen has even less cold starts than any in service truck could ever manage so based on that logic it should last forever :p But I’ll still change the oil as Holden insist I change it every 9 months even if it’s done less than 50o kms :oops:

As to bypass filtration, the following snippet is interesting

In a case study performed by General Motors and published by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), it was determined that engine service life could be extended eight times when 5-micron filtration is implemented vs. the standard 40-micron filtration.

Don’t think I need such bypass filtration for my use case :cool:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The boys BMW has a redicoulsly long oil interchange interval. Over 20,000km but then the 3 litre motor has about the same oil capacity as the L77 listed above IIRC.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The boys BMW has a redicoulsly long oil interchange interval. Over 20,000km but then the 3 litre motor has about the same oil capacity as the L77 listed above IIRC.
Is it relatively modern, like from the last 15 years? If so it probably has oil quality monitoring which would give you a Service Oil warning before 20k kms if it thought it wasn't up to par (although I think it doesn't actually monitor the oil itself so much as how it's been used, stuff like how long it ran with cold oil, how long it ran with temps over blah, yadda yadda).

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it relatively modern, like from the last 15 years? If so it probably has oil quality monitoring which would give you a Service Oil warning before 20k kms if it thought it wasn't up to par (although I think it doesn't actually monitor the oil itself so much as how it's been used, stuff like how long it ran with cold oil, how long it ran with temps over blah, yadda yadda).
2005. It shows distance to service which right now is about 21,000km.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005. It shows distance to service which right now is about 21,000km.
Time for an experiment possibly :cool:

Take it to a track for 100 kms of hard fangio action and see whether that 100 kms of hard driving will shorten the distance to service to now be less that 20,000 ;)

Ah, what we do for science :p:p:p

PS: GM has an oil life system which runs an algorithm that considerd usage and such which GM changed after dealers complained they were loosing service work :confused: so it was shortened for comercial reasons rather than engineering reasons :mad:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think we have all known for a long time that GM does things that aren't necessarily for the benefit of the vehicle/owner but rather it's back pocket which includes the enviro branded oils that were recommended for the late model cars.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
also rev a lot lower
Don't know about the revs but they've got lots of power and massive torque, below is a few volvos deisel truck variants

1692344194602.png

and these trucks have 150,000kms service intervals with what must be crazy cylinder pressures and bearing loads :eek:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224