Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VIC: RECOVERED: MY17 SSV Redline Sportwagon AMG156 - Monash University, Clayton, VIC

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
the question will now be is this going to be more common moving forward and has someone actually developed a hack for the system used in the vf that is being shared on special forums which can mean more people getting access to it.
It wouldn’t surprise me.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
the question will now be is this going to be more common moving forward and has someone actually developed a hack for the system used in the vf that is being shared on special forums which can mean more people getting access to it.
Sorta fortunately, I don‘t know there’s a strong enough market to make it worthwhile.
You can’t sell the car, there’s a lot of effort in stripping for parts (these people expend a LOT of effort avoiding effort), and it’s not like the 90’s where an AWD Subaru guaranteed they could evade law-enforcement if committing another crime.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
gtkpro2 would ruin their day
A pro’s day wouldn’t be ruined as they can factor for such things in their targeted attack…

I’ve read that in some places they pinch the car and drive it into a semi’s box trailer that’s been done up as a faraday cage. Then the tracker doesn’t have any signalnd can’t communicate its position to the server. So the thieves can drive off in anonymity where they have all the time in the world to find where the tracker is hidden and dispose of it…

They can even use a cell phone jammer on its own or in combination with the above semi so any tracker would also be mute (though I haven’t heard how people can get around Apple AirTags which are easy to hide anywhere)…

At the moment such effort seems relatively complex for common bogan thieves who just want a fang and so it’s not currently a huge problem down under. But give it time and the skill set and cost needed for these little black boxes and the situation can quickly change.

Regardless, whatever the case, if some pro wants your car, a tracker wont be an issue for them.

Luckily there are more expensive and more desirable cars available compared to our bogan commodores but without any mechanism to upgrade the PKES/RFID systems in our vehicles there is no way to stay ahead of the common thieves.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Sorta fortunately, I don‘t know there’s a strong enough market to make it worthwhile.

i would think the same thing but the op posted that the same group took 2 vehicles using the same method so they have some sort of plan for them thats more than just a joy ride

A pro’s day wouldn’t be ruined as they can factor for such things in their targeted attack…

I’ve read that in some places they pinch the car and drive it into a semi’s box trailer that’s been done up as a faraday cage. Then the tracker doesn’t have any signalnd can’t communicate its position to the server. So the thieves can drive off in anonymity where they have all the time in the world to find where the tracker is hidden and dispose of it…

They can even use a cell phone jammer on its own or in combination with the above semi so any tracker would also be mute (though I haven’t heard how people can get around Apple AirTags which are easy to hide anywhere)…

At the moment such effort seems relatively complex for common bogan thieves who just want a fang and so it’s not currently a huge problem down under. But give it time and the skill set and cost needed for these little black boxes and the situation can quickly change.

Regardless, whatever the case, if some pro wants your car, a tracker wont be an issue for them.

Luckily there are more expensive and more desirable cars available compared to our bogan commodores but without any mechanism to upgrade the PKES/RFID systems in our vehicles there is no way to stay ahead of the common thieves.

true but if the vehicle is disabled via the gtk a signal jammer wont do anything but keep the vehicle disabled.
the gtk uses both cell(4g) and gps to operate and once it disables the vehicle you would need to find the device and bypass it to get the vehicle running.
if you install it so it is well hidden then they are going to waste a lot of time looking for it and its only a little bit larger than a matchbox so its not a thing thats easily spotted.

it also records its location history internally so if it does get a chance to communicate with gps or 4g it will upload its recorded location data but like anything there are always ways around it.

here is one of the vehicles and what it did today, it logs every path and stop, for how long, speed and can include obd data and a bunch of other stuff that i never enabled.
if the signal drops out it just keeps logging and uploads anything it can once it can connect.
gtk.jpg

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Just a question to those in the know… if the car was stolen via reprogramming up a replacement key, would that require access to the GM programming system? And would that leave footprints within the GM system (as to who accessed the GM system to program up a key for that VIN)?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Just a question to those in the know… if the car was stolen via reprogramming up a replacement key, would that require access to the GM programming system? And would that leave footprints within the GM system (as to who accessed the GM system to program up a key for that VIN)?

nope, you need access to techline to program module firmware etc but you can program keys without it, hacked copy of gds2 and a $200 nano will do it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Everything is defective in your eyes.

Simple truth is, crims will always find a way to bypass any security system for their own benefit.....And unfortunately honest people like the OP suffer as a result of low lives
For a self confessed technological neanderthal I don’t think you are able to make a judgements about strengths and weaknesses of PKES or RFID based security systems. Heck I don’t have a clear understanding all the vulnerabilities but I know they exist.

Many security experts have deemed non upgradable systems as a security failure and thus defective by design. It’s not my definition but that of the many experts who have been critical of vehicle PKES systems, IOT and many other bits of technology normal users just use and don’t comprehend the technicalities and vulnerabilities.

Truth is crims will always be crims but why do manufacturers need to make things easier for them by creating poor security solutions that can’t be upgraded as vulnerabilities are exposed and better measures pit in place to counter such issues. Such has been the staple of pC’s and similar for many many decades.

Security (or the lack of it) is a difficult problem to solve when many manufacturers don’t case about it :mad:

Sadly I know quite a few people who do everything on their old phones (banking, purchases, etc). Unsurprisingly their (Android) phones have stopped receiving security updates for a few years already. They just have no idea of their exposure and don’t want to stop banking on their old phone or spend the money on buying a new phone that gets updated. Beggars belief :oops:

But spare me your barbs about me seeing the defects… pity more don’t see the impending cliffs :rolleyes:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
PKES or RFID based security systems

i have to agree, the current security systems in vehicles is pretty poorly designed for todays world.
in the late 90's when it was designed it was fine but technology has changed so much you can have pocket sized devices that can defeat all sorts of things.

they even sell annoyance tools like the flipper zero that can be programmed to do nefarious things, i think around 2010 they should have been looking to redo the entire system but here we are with the same tech from the 90's