Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrade from VZ to VF

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I kind of agree not all innovation is better. I was driving a new hybrid corolla for a while recently and while it was great on fuel, and has all the useless features I don't want, like automatic steering and jerking the car back into the lane if you get too close to a line on the road, as well as slamming on the breaks if someone 30m in front of you starts slowing down, it was missing basic features like simple electric seats and the inside just felt like it was all made of cheap plastic and wasn't designed to last more than 10-15 years. Even the steering wheel felt like crap, i'll take the leather electric seats, leather steering wheel, slightly less cheap plastic interior, and actually having to drive it myself of a VZ any day.
Most of that 'driver aid' stuff is mandated by ANCAP now.
It isn't going to go away, just get more refined and accepted by the upcoming generation of car owners., or car users/ hirers/ passengers.

How it will all work after 5 > 10 years is to be seen, as the cars get older and faults creep in, and repairers try to rectify problems.
There was case in Newcastle ( made the TV news ) of a new Ford Ranger that could not even be started because the screen crapped itself. The selling dealer had no idea of what to do, apart from grudgingly lending the owner a used car.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Most of that 'driver aid' stuff is mandated by ANCAP now.
It isn't going to go away, just get more refined and accepted by the upcoming generation of car owners., or car users/ hirers/ passengers.
Hopefully it will improve too ... there will still be poor implementations, but generally stuff like assistance to keep you in the lane & automated manual gearboxes & engine stop-start have become a helluva lot less annoying than they used to was.

Reliability, as you suggested ... yeah it's something I fear. I just keep telling myself to remember what happened with EFI, which by the time it was in pretty much everything regardless of price (so say late 80's) was SOOO much more reliable than carbies it's not funny ... but everyone was saying that EFI'd mean bulk 5yo cars in wreckers in the early 80's.

Last edited:

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Still remember a guy back in the day boasting about his TR6 being fuel injected

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still remember a guy back in the day boasting about his TR6 being fuel injected
Response: "Oh that's interesting, is it Lucas fuel injection?"
TR6 Guy: "Yes indeed"
Response: *mic drop*

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Response: "Oh that's interesting, is it Lucas fuel injection?"
TR6 Guy: "Yes indeed"
Response: *mic drop*
Joesph Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
When I went looking for a clean low km Aussie made V8 sedan with a slush box I looked at everything to VF

I ended up getting the VX SS series 2

Sure, a few VF SS I took for a spin when I was shopping were "nicer" and quieter inside, and had electrical gadgets, but I didn't get any tingles looking at them

As soon as I seen the VX I knew that I had to have it

I can honestly say, for me, and what I use my car for, I'm glad I never got one of the newer models

My point is that you need to buy something that tingles your loins just looking at it, from every angle

Sometimes newer is good, Sometimes older is better, it all depends on the relationship between your optic nerve and loins

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
When I went looking for a clean low km Aussie made V8 sedan with a slush box I looked at everything to VF

I ended up getting the VX SS series 2

Sure, a few VF SS I took for a spin when I was shopping were "nicer" and quieter inside, and had electrical gadgets, but I didn't get any tingles looking at them

As soon as I seen the VX I knew that I had to have it

I can honestly say, for me, and what I use my car for, I'm glad I never got one of the newer models

My point is that you need to buy something that tingles your loins just looking at it, from every angle

Sometimes newer is good, Sometimes older is better, it all depends on the relationship between your optic nerve and loins

well said. for me that would be something like an old mx-5 or an s15 or something small and light with an ls3 swap, but you can't buy that, you have to build it, bit of a long term goal for me :D

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
A strong example from me, of completely agreeing with you & yet having a different outcome ... we were getting a new car, in 2015 there wasn't really any other choice among the Commodore options other than VF.
It being quieter, for my wife's car, was going to be more important than most of what a VX was going to bring to that particular table. :)

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
A strong example from me, of completely agreeing & yet having a different outcome ... we were getting a new car, in 2015 there wasn't really any other choice among the Commodore options other than VF.
It being quieter, for my wife's car, was going to be more important than most of what a VX was going to bring to that particular table. :)
Horses for courses mate

You always need to keep the Minister for War and Finances happy, that way they let us do our stupid 5hit