Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended Stereo

Infest

Reaction score
I've read through some articles on CAA, and it says that I should use MDF? Is that correct? Also it would be alot of mucking around, correct? Wouldn't it be better just to buy one? I have no idea how to even hook a sub up, let alone port it and do all the things ^ has said.

Infest

Reaction score
If I were to build, I would like to do something like this: http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/graphics/sgl-prod/boxes/loaded-angle/pyle-PLHB12.jpg Not so much the look of it. Just the shape (angled). I wouldn't mind doing that, and then putting checkerplate over the front of around the 2 subs. I wouldn't mind buying 2 of those 12" ones listed above.

Do you think the checkerplate idea would look good? What materials would I need to have to complete a project like this + where do I find those "port" things? Can someone please explain them to me.

Cheers.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
the pioneer subs still tend to sound very decent ina sealed enclosure and they are much easier to build than ported

and yes you should use mdf, just wear a mask when cutting it

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
yeh, you dont really need to build a ported enclosure, just go sealed

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I'm trying to figure out how you build a box to APROX 2cu.ft. and then TUNE it to 30Hz. Anyone else see the irony in that?

Infest

Reaction score
What about the checker plate idea? Do you think that would look ok?

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Fair enough 12voltKing, i'll cop it. Make that EXACTLY 2 cu ft and tune to 30hz :)
(I was trying to be general and merely direct him to people who actually know what they are doing over at CAA).

RE Building the box: If you have a bit of time to actually read up, then building a ported box isnt too hard. Considering the budget, i would definitely build it myself. Its all about options. If he doesnt want to or cant then by all means dont. I have the same sub and the difference between ported and sealed is considerable.

Back to the point: Checkerplate would depend on tastes. If you like that look, go for it!! Good luck mate

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the difference between ported and sealed is considerable.
what crap and good? hehe, sorry i will go back to my hole.
yes i know ported has a place but it should not be in anyone car who likes SQ over spl usually.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Garfa... Why are most home theatre subwoofers ported, even the high end SQ ones? Because it depends on the driver used... Some drivers play well in sealed others in ported. "Play well" means SPL or SQ.