Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should I do?? (To buy or not to buy)

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Ok, I'm not sure which section this would go under, but I suppose you'd talk about this in the 'pub' :p . If it's in the wrong section please move it, sorry for any inconvinience.

Ok, now for the question.
My dad is going to be selling his car around march (for those who don't know, its a vy ss, check it out in the my ride section, click on the link in my sig :D).

He'll be selling it for a very cheap price. Now I was just thinking... Should I sell my VT and buy it off him?

The reason I wanted to get peoples opinions is that I still have just over 2 years left on my P's :)cry: ). I don't know if I can go 2 years without getting pulled over, and having P's on a car like that I'd get pulled over quite offten.

The law kind of says I can't drive that kind of car unless its the ONLY family car, but seeing as it won't be and I wont be using it for work, I'm kinda in a bit of a pickle.

I love this car, and in 2 years time I'd probably still be hard pressed to find one for the price my dad will be able to give it to me for.

What should I do? I really want this car, but considering the law + insurance, it won't be a smart buy :(

And I would have to sell my VT to get the money, seeing as I'm broke at the moment :p

Maybe I just need to hear someone say "No!" :(

Opinions:

R Photon

I Like Bresciani Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore
short term it would make you really happy...

long term it could leave you broke (in terms of insurance) and without a licence...

tough choice..my opinion suck in it and don't do it

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
mmm..!

i've been pulled over 12 or so times in 7 months.. you will get pulled over, it's a matter of when. also, i don't think/know if you'd be able to put the rego into your name, they'll know your prohibited from driving it won't they?

(that's how it is in NSW unless you have an exemption form)...

what's the penalty for driving a prohibited vehicle??? i want to know also... loss of licence? fine?

maybe try really hard for an exemption?

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
just take ownership and leave it in ur folks name, put the P plates up, drive it sensibly and u shouldnt have TOO much trouble

a cop isnt gunna just pull u over for that unless hes bored. but if ur doin something wrong he will hound u for that too.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
R Photon, Those are the words I didn't want to hear :p but I suppose your just being the voice of reason haha. Insurance would probably be not too much more than it is now, wouldnt I be a higher rating after a year? I dunno. But it would still bleed my wallet dry... Even though my VT is doing a good enough job at that!

Christina, I'm not sure if its true but apparently as of 01-07-07 its three points and $322 fine. Thats what someone said in the my ride thread. I don;t think it would be a hassel getting the rego in my name... But you never know, it could be... damn!

Ripcell, thats a pretty good point... Although if they wanted to the police could tell me I cant drive it and give me a nice fine and loss of points. I have driven it past police a couple times and they didnt even look twice though. I would like to say "this is MY car" but hey, if I do end up getting it that way I can complain :p

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
i reckon, ring up the RTA, woops, VIC roads and do some reasearch, see what they say. i'm sure there would be other people who have raved on crap to get exemptions.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have to make my decision before the 11th of March (I think, not sure on the exact date but I think its the 11th). One year and one day after getting my P's, and One year on the day since buying my vt... How ironic :p

R Photon

I Like Bresciani Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore
still plenty of time to consider the pros and cons of the situation...

jacko

Reaction score
yeah weigh up the pro's and con's.
it'd be a great car to have, and this is probably not what you want to hear, but i guess it's more thinking with your heart and not your head. (hell, if we all thought with only our heads we'd be driving bloody hybrid cars or something).
But anyway, if you can't get an exemption, I wouldn't risk it. I think I remember reading somewhere in the VY section that there were some minor problems with that car? Obviously you know the condition it's in, and can get it for a good price, so that's a pro. At the end of the day, make sure you don't think all with your heart (yeah, its hard :p), so you won't regret it somewhere down the line.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
As it stands at the moment, it is a $105 fine for driving a high powered vehicle. With no points. As of 1/7 it will increase to $322 and attract 3 demerit points.

So yeah, you could register in your mum or dad's name and hope you don't get pulled over. I'd be more worried about insurance. I don't think you could insure it in your name either. I couldn't see an insurance company coughing up if you ever needed to make a claim. I mean legally you're not allowed to drive it.

I think it is a big big financial risk. Personally I'd never contemplate it. I say wait until you're off your P's then get one.