Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt 5l slug

Burnout_bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
HYPER VX SS/ R33 GTST
test drove a 98 vt berlina 5l today and it was so sluggish and the average fuel consumption was 17.1l per 100kms with an average driving speed of 34kms an hour (old man driver) ive driven sixes that felt faster, is there an easy fix bottom end felt so sluggish, i didnt take it up high as he wanted too come for the drive.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
could just need a service, new leads, plugs, could be a blocked air filter etc...

Give the ECU a reset to...

aZk.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
if your heart is set on the vt & if you buy it, to get it to go better without cracking open the motor then i would go the ussual: cai,paceies,2 1/2 inch straight through high flow cats and good tune or chip with decent leads and plugs, k&n filter! other than that you could get a vs 5ltr berlina or calais and it being lighter would be quicker than the stock vt:)

Burnout_bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
HYPER VX SS/ R33 GTST
yeah yeah i know all that, but are they suppose too be slow down low, this is the second car ive test driven and havnt been too happy with performance (other car was a supercharged calais) so im tossing up between the two, performance upgrades will happen in near future as im going on a holiday soon, but the choice is hard, the vt has lowered springs and 17 inch ss wheels, and the calais is stock as a rock. too many hard choices and both are the same price.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
if your going preformance mods, go the 8.

You can improve bottem end quite easily and with not much cost.

Calais options are hard to ignore... what do you want the final outcome to be? 180kws or 250+kws?

aZk.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
yeah yeah i know all that, but are they suppose too be slow down low, this is the second car ive test driven and havnt been too happy with performance (other car was a supercharged calais) so im tossing up between the two, performance upgrades will happen in near future as im going on a holiday soon, but the choice is hard, the vt has lowered springs and 17 inch ss wheels, and the calais is stock as a rock. too many hard choices and both are the same price.

is the calais also a vt? well the vt is a heavy car so yeah its going to be slower down low than the vr-vs models (comparison) and it will feel slugish but as azk said i would be checking all the obvious things first air filter,plugs,leads,fuel filter?? & ask about service history ect and if you really want to be through the get it looked over by racq!

Burnout_bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
HYPER VX SS/ R33 GTST
i want in total for my car too be around 190-200rwkw, anything faster and i would kill myself, but i know ill become a kw junkie, anyway the calais is a vs , i know there are plenty of mods for the s/c calais but what are some easy mods for the 5l too crack the 190 mark. ive seen hsv upgrades which claim 190 or 195 @ the engine and plus a cold air intake decent exhaust, extractors and some rockers, id hope too push 170atw but with the sc i think with an 11psi pulley and a tune i reckon i could get the same so i dont know, the lady with the vs claimed she gets 12l too 100 round town which is significantly less than the 8. so i think im heading down the s/c lane, even no i love the sound of the ol 5l and the sc has a pissy little whine once its been pretty modified. too hard of a choice. and the vt has a few mods which will save me round 1k.

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
maybe the dizzy timings out if not enough advance low power down low and high fuel consumption

Burnout_bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
HYPER VX SS/ R33 GTST
sorry man that didnt make any sense ?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
he said check timing 12 deg BTDC i think