Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS Aussie 5L savable?

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Warning long post: looking for advice:

So I am looking for a VT SS with the Aussie 5L not fussed if its auto or man but it needs to be in reasonable condition and must be original, not modified.

I went and inspected one last week, 1999 model (so must be towards the end of the Aussies 5L production) manual with about 145,000km on the clock, the asking price is $25k. Bloke has owned it since new, so 25 years. Just looking for some other owners opinions/thoughts on the car as it’s been awhile since I had a VT.

It didn’t get off to a great start as the guy did a cold start the engine belt squealed and he couldn’t shift it into gear as he reckons the clutch pedal needs pumping as he doesn’t drive the car much, as he was trying to shift it into gear he snapped off the gear knob (or it just came off) he managed to push it back on, then he managed to badly gutter rash the alloys as we left his car park and hit the curb (not a good start).

The poor thing was not in the best shape, the guy clearly not a car guy as the car hasn’t really been serviced properly and only taken to mycar to get stuff done on it, but it was stock original, nothing changed. Interior, looked to be in good condition with the cloth, no bolster damage or tear in the cloth just sun fade on the rear, no floor mats and the carpets looked to have some small holes (cigarette burns in them), rear door jambs looked to have bad deep scratches in them above wheel arch as if someone was dragging things across them. Roof lining has sagged.

One area of concern and I can’t remember how the hinges were mounted to the pillars on VT but he said the drivers door one broke away from the pillar and then it had to be rewelded on (not sure if they were welded from factory) but that was an area of concern for me as it looked like a **** job.

The exterior paint was just marred from improper car care and taking it through car washes, a few scratches and dents here and there and few panels resprayed overtime as it had a slight prang in the front.

I inspected the engine bay and there seems to be a lot of surface rust where the battery is as it looks like it has leaked at some point over the 25 years and eaten away the paint in that area and along driver chassis rail, the engine bay was also unclean, but I did notice a lot of engine oil leaks on left side of engine top and bottom and on k frame and top front right of engine. I then looked under the car and seems like rear main seal leaking and possibly something with the trans.

On the test drive I struggled to get it into gear easy and the clutch had to be pressed all the way down and grab point was immediate which wasn’t good. The ABS warning light is constantly on. A knocking from front left (sway bar bushes no doubt) The engine sounded good but then I got the guy to give it a few revs while I did a video and then all of a sudden, an engine knocking sound started (it went away after a drive) but think it came back if you gave a few blips of revs and the car left idling. He advised the engine was rebuilt under warranty 20 years ago when the car had 40,000km as there was an issue and Holden diagnosed the problem and fixed it, since then it has been trouble free motoring.

Is this a SS that can be saved or is it a steer clear car? I have bought older 40-50 year old holden classics in the same or worse condition and managed to turn them into great cars or am delusional thinking I can do the same with this SS? I guess the thing is I picked up those older holdens for a good price, I don’t think this SS is worth $25k or even $20k in the condition its in. If you were to buy this car what is a fair price to pay? $15k? $10k? I feel it can be a good car and example of a clean unmodified SS but needs a lot of TLC and money to get things fixed.

Service records show that a range of hoses have been replaced within the last 5 years and that clutch has also been done even though its terrible.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
1694397108323.png

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Seriously, run away from this car! It clearly hasn't been maintained very well at all judging from your description...

Also $25k is a rip-off for a 5 litre VT (and any VT), unless it's in absolutely perfect condition, which this one clearly isn't...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Have a look at what is on Carsales.
He wants top dollar for what appears to be a potential money pit.
Don't offer $10K > $15K unless you like being told to F>off.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Have a look at what is on Carsales.
He wants top dollar for what appears to be a potential money pit.
Don't offer $10K > $15K unless you like being told to F>off.
Also look at Marketplace and Gumtree... Carsales is good, but the cars on there are over-inflated in price...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I looked at a VT wagon with a 5 litre in it about 12 months ago for someone.....The owner of that wagon wanted $10K for that one and I thought that was steep....Didn't drive it because the owner was saying different B/S stories why it couldn't be driven.

Then about 6 months ago, took someone to look at another VT wagon, with a 5 litre....A shed load better nick than the first one....Had motor work, car was lowered...Auto...The person I took to look at it bought it...Won't say the price, but was under $15K...

So for this VTSS, $25K, tell him he is dreaming....

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I looked at a VT wagon with a 5 litre in it about 12 months ago for someone.....The owner of that wagon wanted $10K for that one and I thought that was steep....Didn't drive it because the owner was saying different B/S stories why it couldn't be driven.

Then about 6 months ago, took someone to look at another VT wagon, with a 5 litre....A shed load better nick than the first one....Had motor work, car was lowered...Auto...The person I took to look at it bought it...Won't say the price, but was under $15K...

So for this VTSS, $25K, tell him he is dreaming....
If you happen across a VT Senator Estate in your travels could I trouble you for a lead?

Reactions: Lex