Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Policeman on mobile.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Yes Unfortunately, this is the case. Police in probably every state (confirmed) NSW and VIC have an exemption to some road rules, including the use of handheld mobile phones...

While I agree it appears to be double standards, I can't agree that its not necessary at times. I nearly always pull over and take the call, but I have no shortage of parking where I work so its not a problem for me. However, thats not so realistic for many Police.

People have to realise that at times it really might be something that is necessary. We know that many people use police scanners especially full time crooks. So at times a call may need to be made of an urgent nature or not so urgent but necessary, that cannot be put over the air.

When in the city I used to get called on my mobile for nearly every 3rd or 4th job. This was either because of congestion/traffic on the air, or a need for a little secrecy about what we are talking about. Many a time, jobs such as Break and Enters occurring now, would be rung to the car (especially if you were unmarked) so that the crooks had no idea you were on the way. Police radio would then hold off for you to get right around the corner before they broadcast it for other cars to attend. This in a lot of cases resulted in the crooks not getting away...

We also use phones for some jobs to keep the media out of the loop and delay their arrival. For instance a Duty officer on the way to a serious crime scene, i.e. a murder or sexual assault, may not look like he is urgent, I mean he might just look like he is driving along casually, and he probably is, but he needs to organise a lot of other people whilst he's on the way there. If you were the victim, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like to hear from us that we took an extra hour to get things moving because of some phone calls. Detectives don't get notice so often (lack of uniform), but when they get called out to a job like the ones just mentioned, they are on the phone from the time they get called out of bed till when they arrive, getting as much information as possible so they know what is going on hen they walk through the door. This sort of thing can't be communicated over radio as its just not secure. I'd hate the media to turn up across the road from a sexual assault victims house and set up their cameras because they heard it all over police radio. And trust me they would turn up!

Just to put another spin on it. We receive training in relation to pursuit/highspeed driving in which we are required to call pursuits as an alpha unit (i.e. by ourselves) via a 'hand held' radio, giving very specific info to someone else far far away, about what is going, on ie street names, speeds, descriptions (this takes a little more concentration than your usual chat about last night at the pub) and we are usually flying around after some other lunatic at break neck speeds while we are doing this. We are assessed on this and if we don't get it right, and I mean we simply clip a cats eye on the centre line, we fail!

So keeping that in mind, maybe a quick bit of info about the next job we are going to whilst driving isn't really that big a deal, especially if it allows us to do our job more effectively.

As usual, its another long post from Helly... But hey, its much easier to shoot something down in one sentence than it is to briefly explain things that most don't have the vaguest idea about.

So yeah, its perfectly legal for us to be on the phone whilst driving when doing our jobs, and perfectly illegal when we aren't, just like everyone else!

If you don't like it, then join the COPS! :thumbsup:

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
My wife dobbed in a cop on a mobile in QLD. She was told by a snr sgt that it was dispicable that officers could not abide by the rules they uphold, and that he would be fined.

WARNING THIS WILL BE A SHORT POST!

The Sen Sgt probably doesn't even know what a mobile phone is!

Sorry Sarge!

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Thanks for the insight helly, I'm sure you raised a lot of points most of us would have never considered :thumbsup:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Nice explanation Helly. That's fair enough, but shouldn't all cop cars be fitted with handsfree kits?

...Just as a precaution - I mean that way you could be on the phone and the 2-way and eating a doughnut all at the same time! ;)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Nice explanation Helly. That's fair enough, but shouldn't all cop cars be fitted with handsfree kits?

...Just as a precaution - I mean that way you could be on the phone and the 2-way and eating a doughnut all at the same time! ;)

:rofl: HAHAHA gold, pure gold.

Nice explanation helly.

Just_Ice

Reaction score

Unfortunately it all comes down to the $$$$$$..... Well the first bit anyway....

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If a copper was talking away on a hands free and his window was down, any casual bystander could eves drop on the convo so that doesn't make it very secure.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride

Mate, my new XR6T came with the bluetooth option and I now use it religiously. I think its great, but the guys at our next out station got one at exactly the same time and didn't have BT installed. We don't really get a say in those sort of things, but in time I'm sure nearly all new cars will have these sorts of things standard.

I can assure you that if we asked for it up front, it would be almost certain that we wouldn't get it! But then they give guys like me, who can just easily pull over any time I like a BT set up... Go figure!

Also most of the mobiles that we get supplied as duty phones are OLD or Bottom of the line, with the black and white screens still, and don't have BT!

BTW, I don't know if I'd try and eat a donut and drive at the same time. Heaven knows, I might get the donut and the steering wheel mixed up or even worse I might mistake the donut for my wife. Hey, I'm only a stupid COP you know!!!

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Just my 2 cents

The way i see it the Police are the same as us they are human so a kid/person or car can pop out in front of them at anytime just like it can happen to us..

Ok they may of done a driving course and all that jazz but and the end of the day they (Police) are still only human and accidents can happen..

Standard issues should be in car kits for all of the police fleet i know that $$$$$$$ are the issue but whats a persons/kids life worth..

P.S Also i do agree with all of the reasons tha Helly said so im not having a go at them.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Mate, my new XR6T came with the bluetooth option and I now use it religiously. I think its great, but the guys at our next out station got one at exactly the same time and didn't have BT installed. We don't really get a say in those sort of things, but in time I'm sure nearly all new cars will have these sorts of things standard.

I can assure you that if we asked for it up front, it would be almost certain that we wouldn't get it! But then they give guys like me, who can just easily pull over any time I like a BT set up... Go figure!

Also most of the mobiles that we get supplied as duty phones are OLD or Bottom of the line, with the black and white screens still, and don't have BT!

BTW, I don't know if I'd try and eat a donut and drive at the same time. Heaven knows, I might get the donut and the steering wheel mixed up or even worse I might mistake the donut for my wife. Hey, I'm only a stupid COP you know!!!

Yeah bluetooth is the go. As for donuts on the go, I mean come on, you fellas drive auto's! There's no challenge in eating lunch while driving an automatic. I'm sure even a HP officer such as yourself could manage such a feat. ;)