Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Having it manual wont make you any faster anyway.:p It may be more fun to drive but a shift kitted auto will always be faster than a manual.:thumbsup:

Actually, if you use the holden ratio set T56 and chuck 4.11 gears in the arse, you'll get some decent gains and still have almost exactly the same final drive ratio as an auto with 3.08's. Plus the enormous amounts of fun. Still not worth ten grand though. :p

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
well i deffinately gonna stick to the v6's untill im at lest 25. simply because of the insurance cost, i got a insurance quote today for a HSV CLUBSPORT VX II R8 and it was 12k a year. there is no way i could afford that. especially when the car was only advertised for 31k.

how old are you and what insurance company are you going to !?!?! 12k a year seems to be an exaduration

i am 20, turning 21 in november, have had my licence since 2003 and its no where near that, just did a quote then and im looking at $2816.83 a year to insure a 2002 vx clubby r8 for 30 grand with RAC

and im currently paying $1641.24 to insure my 2003 vy berlina for 22k

when i had my 5.0L stato i was paying $1900 a year insured for 13k

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
ooo and for the record, for me to insure a 2007 r8 clubby for 63k its $2990.41 a year

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have been driving for 15 years insurance for the VP- $1100 the VT-$1300:eek:

I found AAMI the cheapest by a long way. When I owned what is now Macks VP GTS it was insured with Shannons and was around $600 (limited use) per year.

Reaper

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
how old are you and what insurance company are you going to !?!?! 12k a year seems to be an exaduration

i am 20, turning 21 in november, have had my licence since 2003 and its no where near that, just did a quote then and im looking at $2816.83 a year to insure a 2002 vx clubby r8 for 30 grand with RAC

and im currently paying $1641.24 to insure my 2003 vy berlina for 22k

when i had my 5.0L stato i was paying $1900 a year insured for 13k

jeez even that seems alot. one of my mates is payen 2000 grand a year for his vz ss ute. and thats when he was 20 dont know what he is payen now.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Sounds like Mal Wood. I can tell ya now the price would be almost as much as the damned car's worth. :p
Worth the fun but not worth the money:D

I found AAMI the cheapest by a long way. When I owned what is now Macks VP GTS it was insured with Shannons and was around $600 (limited use) per year.

Reaper
Might try them, I must be in a hot area? But we haven't seen a car stolen in 5-6 years and that was only because a group of punks got bored, They moved to QLD with there mum.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Might try them, I must be in a hot area? But we haven't seen a car stolen in 5-6 years and that was only because a group of punks got bored, They moved to QLD with there mum.

My factory in Dandenong (does it get any hotter?) is the registered address of my car.

Reaper

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6

Reaper

Thats who I changed mine to (AAMI), plus they had no probs with accepting all the mods on my car either. :thumbsup:

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Yep you got it right, I did compare an L67 to the gen 3, IN FIRST GEAR. The topic of that conversation, which you obviously didn't read was about whether I had driven a 5L before, and how good their low down torque was, and I responded to it. But as usual, you get something simple and go off on your own silly little rant, not relating to the particular topic at hand. Maybe if you read a little more and got the jist of what was being said you might actually make a valid point now and then.

Where do you think torque reduction has its greatest effect. First gear. That was entirely on topic & not an as you put it silly little rant.

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
Where do you think torque reduction has its greatest effect. First gear. That was entirely on topic & not an as you put it silly little rant.

I cannot believe you still dont understand. The topic that converstaion was about WHETHER I HAD DRIVEN A 5L OR NOT.:bang::bang::bang:

So for the last time READ before posting!

Pandaman and I were discussing the low down torque of the 5L

I had been asked if I had driven a 5L. I responded and mentioned that I had driven a stock Gen3 as well.

Then commented that both didn't feel like my super6 through first.

Nothing was mentioned before or after that about the gen3 at all.

The TOPIC of conversation was always about the 5L. Several times through this thread I have said that the L67 cant stack up against the potential of the LS1.

Like I continue to say, read before posting and you may occasionally post something with some significance.

Last edited: