Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power button vs commodore ?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
On Auto Eco if i floor it the gear changes at 3500RPM with alot of groan, if i got it on Auto power the RPMs are unlimited up to redline for gearchanges. So yea longer RPMs = faster gear changes and does give you power.

I use it for showing up the little 4 cylinder turbo manual boys up at red lights, and its uselfull for uphills etc. Also stationary the RPMs at idle will increase by around 500 RPM ive noticed. Taking mine from around 900-1100 RPM idle to 1500RPM idle.

Yeah it sounds like your machine might have a few issues there mate, and not small ones...

I'd love to get a memcal made up with a better tune in it, like your average custom one, but with an enhanced tune for power mode, that relies on 98RON fuel for the spark advance etc.... and with more hardcore gear shifts but at the SAME RPM. That way when I'm on a tank of 98 I could run better economy and enjoy my shift kit :) but not worry about wasting fuel in power mode. Economy would be for when I don't want neck-snapping shifts, like taking people to work in the morning. I reckon that'd be about the perfect setup for me :)

So.... can this be done with a memcal or am I dreaming? Also, can the cold start be altered with a memcal so it doesn't throw so much fuel through, or is that not really safe for the motor. I guess I'm asking Dr. Bob mainly, here...

Cheers
Sam

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the power button activates a different shift pattern, nothing more, its only the shift speeds that change.
the cold start can be altered but theres really no reason to as its pretty good as it is.

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
yes the shift patterns are contained in the memcal

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
i towed another car with a car trailer the other day, and tried with the power button on and off. with it off in the streets, you can really feel the weight you're towing, and it was using a lot of Litres/100ks. just felt like it was a gear higher all the time than it should have been. with the button on, it just felt like its controlling the revs and gear changes better for the weight, and hills etc. it also held it in 3rd on the freeway at 90kp/h so i turned it off at that point so overdrive would kick in.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
yes the shift patterns are contained in the memcal
OK. Sorry to harp on about it, just making 100% sure, with a custom memcal you can't run a different spark advance map in power mode. This must be so annoying for you Dr Bob, sorry :)

with the button on, it just felt like its controlling the revs and gear changes better for the weight, and hills etc. it also held it in 3rd on the freeway at 90kp/h so i turned it off at that point so overdrive would kick in.
That's why they invented power mode right there. :)

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
yes the only way to run a different spark/fuel map is to run a switched/dual map memcal.

Rob

AWETZM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8L
So Doctor Bob - what do you need to set this up ? Just one of your memcal's or an aftermarket ECU (MoTec, Haltech,etc) ?

It would be awesome to have a "fuel economy mode" and "performance" mode - I don't think you could realistically ask for more !

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
I just leave mine on power all the time. Occasionally econ slips on after I've been working on the centre console and the car doesn't feel like it's kicking back right, then I put Power back on and it's all good again. :w00t:

It shifts into 4th and all that ok with the power button on, doesn't stick in 3rd consistantly although sometimes it'll stay in 3rd a bit longer then it has to but this isn't often.

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
why would you leave it on power all the time? you're wasting your petrol.