Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power button vs commodore ?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Yeah I knew it changed the shift and kickdown points, I was just hoping it did something cooler too:)

Another way: cruising at 60kph, power on runs completely different RPM to power off.

Yes, as it is holding third gear instead of slipping into overdrive. The same effect can be had leaving the stick in 3rd... if you want to do that around town at slower speeds. No point in using the power mode as it just revs out too much and wastes fuel as others have mentioned.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
97 vs series 2 v6 ,and was wondering if any1 noes xactly what the power button does on the auto

Phew,i hope this answers ur question.

Last edited:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I sometimes use power mode in the hills, save my motor from labouring at the bottom of gears too much . . . I know Dad does this in our V6s as well. I never use it in the suburbs, I think the 5L sounds great at low revs anyway :) like it doesn't even have to work to stay with traffic.

PsYko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
its for racing at traffic lights.. but none of us should do that because hooning is wrong :)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
For racing at lights? Well unless you race at less than 80% throttle I don't think so :)

Shifts and general behaviour are identical to Economy mode when throttle goes above 80%, according to the article posted above.

jesterofseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
On Auto Eco if i floor it the gear changes at 3500RPM with alot of groan, if i got it on Auto power the RPMs are unlimited up to redline for gearchanges. So yea longer RPMs = faster gear changes and does give you power.

I use it for showing up the little 4 cylinder turbo manual boys up at red lights, and its uselfull for uphills etc. Also stationary the RPMs at idle will increase by around 500 RPM ive noticed. Taking mine from around 900-1100 RPM idle to 1500RPM idle.

Deimos7382

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I use the power button when using cruise control in my v6 statesman on the freeway, when i hit a decent hill the auto goes down a gear to 3rd, speeds up then drops back into 4th, if it's a long hill I put in power mode so it doesn't go 3rd/4th/3rd/4th etc, it stays in 3rd and the fuel consumption leans off so it's not chewing a lot of fuel doing the 3rd/4th dance, especially on a run from Newcastle to Canberra where there are a lot of hills, i do notice that if i leave it in power mode my fuel consumption is higher.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
On Auto Eco if i floor it the gear changes at 3500RPM with alot of groan, if i got it on Auto power the RPMs are unlimited up to redline for gearchanges. So yea longer RPMs = faster gear changes and does give you power.

I use it for showing up the little 4 cylinder turbo manual boys up at red lights, and its uselfull for uphills etc. Also stationary the RPMs at idle will increase by around 500 RPM ive noticed. Taking mine from around 900-1100 RPM idle to 1500RPM idle.

The power button doesnt effect idle, sounds like u have a problem or tuning issue.. and with power on, it doesnt effect the speed of the gear changes! i think ur cars on meth :p

all it does its prolong changing into the next gear.