Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power button vs commodore ?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Absolutely right. Waste of fuel. In the hills I believe power mode could be better for engine and gearbox in a 6cyl at least, but around town it seems altogether pointless. Save fuel, it leaves more money for modification :) Modifications that may help save more fuel :):)

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
So Doctor Bob - what do you need to set this up ? Just one of your memcal's or an aftermarket ECU (MoTec, Haltech,etc) ?

It would be awesome to have a "fuel economy mode" and "performance" mode - I don't think you could realistically ask for more !

it requires a dual table memcal with a switch to operate it.

Rob

AWETZM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8L
How hard/expensive would that be to set up ?

Just with fuel prices not set to decrease any time soon, if not too expensive it would be a viable option.

And i am going to get one of your memcals soon anyway - when I've saved the cash...

bushsalmon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn sI 3800 stocker
On Auto Eco if i floor it the gear changes at 3500RPM with alot of groan, if i got it on Auto power the RPMs are unlimited up to redline for gearchanges. So yea longer RPMs = faster gear changes and does give you power.

I use it for showing up the little 4 cylinder turbo manual boys up at red lights, and its uselfull for uphills etc. Also stationary the RPMs at idle will increase by around 500 RPM ive noticed. Taking mine from around 900-1100 RPM idle to 1500RPM idle.

Mate if your auto in pwr mode has no limit to rpm on gear shifts and idles at 1500 rpm, and in economy it shifts at 3500 rpm with a 'groan' when floored you have serious problems. take it to a trans shop. Please don't tell me this is normal, as i know it isn't. If you find its rooted drop in a th700 from a vn/vp there hydraulic instead of electronic and very very tough.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
As others have said, all it does is changes shift points and increases line pressure in the transmission (higher line pressures = harder shifts = less heat). The reason both pwr and econ are the same over 80% throttle is because at 80%, the trans =goes into pwr mode anyway. In VLs you will notice that when you put your foot down past 80% throttle, the pwr light comes on. it is the same with the 4l60-e, even though its a differtent trans.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Epic thread dig!!! I remember reading this thread when I was in high school!

JMVT-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Grange
ha ha, u guys suck!!! lol... jokes.
just to add to this power button thingy u guys got going here, all of u guys forgot 1 thing, and that is the torque converter lock... with the power button ON cruise down a fairly flat road at 60 or 80 in Drive and then pull it back to 3rd. the power button doesnt disable ur 4th gear it keeps ur torque converter unlocked and it tweaks shift and kickback points, and who says u cant use it to drag at lights??? it lets u rev that 6 bopper to 5900 rpm before it shifts... then turn it OFF into second... lol, btw this was in my mums old vs s2 exec wagon... did well with a full car against a vy ute with the same motor, won by half a car... didnt do to bad against a std (thats what he said) vl turbo auto, with just me in it, won by quarter of a car... also one more thing... any car i drive always gets 100 or 98 RON fuel, its one of the best things u can do for ur car, mods or not.

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
ha ha, u guys suck!!! lol... jokes.
just to add to this power button thingy u guys got going here, all of u guys forgot 1 thing, and that is the torque converter lock... with the power button ON cruise down a fairly flat road at 60 or 80 in Drive and then pull it back to 3rd. the power button doesnt disable ur 4th gear it keeps ur torque converter unlocked and it tweaks shift and kickback points, and who says u cant use it to drag at lights??? it lets u rev that 6 bopper to 5900 rpm before it shifts... then turn it OFF into second... lol, btw this was in my mums old vs s2 exec wagon... did well with a full car against a vy ute with the same motor, won by half a car... didnt do to bad against a std (thats what he said) vl turbo auto, with just me in it, won by quarter of a car... also one more thing... any car i drive always gets 100 or 98 RON fuel, its one of the best things u can do for ur car, mods or not.

facepalm.jpg