Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Labour does it again

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Cutting emissions is a very fair and noble objective. Unfortunatly this scheme will do exactly the opposite whilst driving the final nail into Australian manfuacturing and generally ****ing over our entire economy in the process. The only possible way for this to reduce overall carbon emissions is for the entire world (including china/india/etc) to adopt a similar plan. Unless that happens you simply move the problem else where to countries with zero epa regulations thus doing more damage to the global environment.

Reaper

Pretty much sums it up.

If we have to have a carbon tax... why not just fine the big polluters, and give the money to companies who are reducing their green house gas emissions.

Simple really, so a company which pollutes will have teh choice of either paying $10,000,000 to change their output, or pay $20,000,000 in fines :p.

But yeah, all its going to do is drive prices up on locally made items and put them out of business.

How about tax imports more, and give the money to Australian companies to reduce their greenhouse gas. At least that way the money Australians spend, stays in Australia. that has to be a good thing.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
i could go on all day with these lol

0,,6099422,00.jpg

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

HAHAHAHAAH, Team Australia - World Police :p

i could go on all day with these lol

0,,6099422,00.jpg

Nice :D

Pretty much sums it up.

If we have to have a carbon tax... why not just fine the big polluters, and give the money to companies who are reducing their green house gas emissions.

Simple really, so a company which pollutes will have teh choice of either paying $10,000,000 to change their output, or pay $20,000,000 in fines :p.

But yeah, all its going to do is drive prices up on locally made items and put them out of business.

How about tax imports more, and give the money to Australian companies to reduce their greenhouse gas. At least that way the money Australians spend, stays in Australia. that has to be a good thing.

Import tax??? Even more? **** me, do you know it costs just 75k to buy a M5 BMW in the US. Here it costs 240k. How much more do you want to tax things? What we should be doing is removing import taxes and making Australian companies compete against the world. Wages should be dropped accordingly. Fact is, this countres wages are far too bloody high, eventually everything you buy here will be imported.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I'm loosing patience with these fkwits, I thought that Rudd might have actually been half decent as a Labor leader, but no, its back to the same old Labor policy of higher taxes principally aimed at the high income earner.

This ETS is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard off. It won't make any difference in the world CO2 levels, yet we have a rabid PM that wants to make us look good, despite the pain it is going to cause.

What really ****ed me off yesterday was when compensation was mentioned for low income earners and some middle income families. WTF? I already pay enough tax to keep their lifestyles subsidised, and now I gotta pay more for the pollution they cause???? That is just fked, there is no other way to put it.

If I have to pay extra for this ETS ****, then everybody else should too, including all those low income earners and effing working families.

Fk KRudd, fk the ETS and fk the unions as well.:ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Having Electricity bills double, fuel costs increase by 30% or more is going to help no one. This carbon tax should be a concentrated higher portion to industry, not the general populace..

And who are industry going to pass their extra costs onto?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Cutting emissions is a very fair and noble objective. Unfortunatly this scheme will do exactly the opposite whilst driving the final nail into Australian manfuacturing and generally ****ing over our entire economy in the process. The only possible way for this to reduce overall carbon emissions is for the entire world (including china/india/etc) to adopt a similar plan. Unless that happens you simply move the problem else where to countries with zero epa regulations thus doing more damage to the global environment.

Reaper

You are right, the only read difference is going to be when the larger polluters reduce their emissions.
How is this going to happen, suddenly all on one date every country is going to change policy?
Of course not.
It can only happen by other countries leading the way and imposing the thinking on others.
Australia telling India to get its house in order while we remain amongst the highest emitters per capita on the planet isnt going to be very persuasive is it.
Al Gore was right, Australia at least ratifying Kyoto has put more focus in the US on what they are going to be doing. No longer can Mr Bush state that its not only the US that is holding back in the Western countries.
Read the editorial yesterday in The Age? the europeans have been taking a very careful look at what is happening in Australia.
Certainly having all of Europe and Australia on board has really changed the American focus......as well as the price of oil recently.

People get concerned about the economic cost of implenting changes to avoid climate change? what about the costs we now endure for not doing anything about climate change so far. Why have our food prices escalated so much in the last year or so, its not because of any carbon tax or any policies Mr Rudd has implemented is it?

The focus really needs to change from can we do something about climate change and still maintain perfect economy figures, to: can we actually do something about climate change. In times of war we drop everything to save our country, but something that threatens our lifestyle just as much as an invading army, yet we are more concerned with whether the average struggling family can still afford the fuel for both their 4wds.

Yes, wont it be great to look back in 50 years and say we kept the balance of trade going, but pity the land is one giant dustbowl.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I voted for the Libs at the last Federal election, as I believed that they had the proven track record of effective economic management. I believe most of those who turned to Labour did so because Howard refused to step down when his time as leader was clearly past. He had become arrogant and alienated the entire party from their electoral support. Rudd presented a fresh new face, and a team that had "all the answers", though just what the questions were that needed those "answers", I don't know.

It would not surprise me to see Rudd repeat Whitlam's record of a "one-term wonder", being booted out in 2010 by an angry electorate who feel deserted and abandoned by the Government they elected with great expectation and hope.

I realise that many of our economic woes are international, but this Government seems to be hell-bent on saving the world environment whilst ignoring other critical domestic issues. The world economy at this moment, is more vital than the environment in twenty years.

And as a drop in the bucket, Australia is hard to beat. 21 million out of a world population of nearly 7 billion. Our contribution to the environmental problems is miniscule. We need countries like China, India, the US, Russia and the EU to make positive snd serious steps before there will be a perceptible improvement in the environment. Our best efforts would probably go un-noticed if others don't do the same thing first.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commsirac, I think that it is has to be countries like China and India that act first.

I was in India for work a few months ago, and the pollution in the big cities and even out at the mine sites where I was based was mind blowing.

It seems to me that what we are doing is just ****ing in the wind (even if Europe gets onboard) unless those two countries do something, and the problem with that is I don't see them doing anything anytime soon.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Commsirac, I think that it is has to be countries like China and India that act first.

I was in India for work a few months ago, and the pollution in the big cities and even out at the mine sites where I was based was mind blowing.

It seems to me that what we are doing is just ****ing in the wind (even if Europe gets onboard) unless those two countries do something, and the problem with that is I don't see them doing anything anytime soon.

Exactly, the Indians and Chinese left to their own devices are going to do nothing. They have 99% of their population that still aspire to even be connected to electricity, their governments have much more pressure on them.
What will change,absolutely nothing(might as well turn over and die now) if we dont show initiative and lead the way. This can mean helping those countries find cleaner ways of producing energy too.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Exactly, the Indians and Chinese left to their own devices are going to do nothing. They have 99% of their population that still aspire to even be connected to electricity, their governments have much more pressure on them.
What will change,absolutely nothing(might as well turn over and die now) if we dont show initiative and lead the way. This can mean helping those countries find cleaner ways of producing energy too.

Thats the problem though. I reckon they will still do nothing if we lead the way. We are tiny to them, mean nothing to them, and will get laughed off by them. You have a massive new middle class of people over there that want everything we have. Nothing is going to get in the way of the demand of several hundred million people.

There isn't much point in radically changing the way this country operates for zero nett effect in the world scale. What is going to happen is we will be paying more for, well.....nothing, except to boost government coffers.