Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Gears ???

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
FOAMY :D you know my specs cos you just wrote my chip. Which would you choose if it was a daily driving street car ? 3.45's or 3.7's ?

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
Also with hi stalls what would suit my car the best ? i doint wana huge one, under 3000 cos it a daily driving. What is the differance between a lockup and non louckup ? which one is better for me ? thanks :)

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Do you know what it was reving at when sitting on 100k's when you had the 3.7's ? Now that you have 3.5's what does it sit on at 100k's ?

i cant tell you exactly what rpm it was sitting at, because im pretty sure my taco is out, but to me it sounded like it was sitting around 2700 rpm at 100kms with the 3.7's.
now with the 3.45's i think its around 2400 rpm. if you want a stall convertor i reckon you will have traction problems with that and 3.7's if you launch hard, 3.45's would probably give you the best result if you went with a stallie. greenfoam knows more about this area than i do though

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Which would you choose if it was a daily driving street car ? 3.45's or 3.7's ?

I know you weren't asking me, but I'd say 3.7s for a daily. The hardcore gears are 3.89 and 4.11s.

If you get 3.45s, you'll go "yeah, that's a bit better. ... I think... ..." and then you'll wish you got 3.7s. If you get 3.7s, you may complain about highway economy from time to time, but every time you put your foot down, you'll know you've done the right thing ;)

And I'm assuming your car is automatic? Because if so, you can sensibly go 3.89s if you're not too concerned about highway fuel consumption. On a T5 though, 3.89s or 4.11s will have you changing gears more often than you can pump the clutch :p

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
Yea it is a rebuilt auto box with a stage 2 shift kit. I still want good fuel economy. How would a 2200 or 2500 stallie and 3.45 gears suit me ? Also anyone know the diff between a lockup and non lockup stallie ?

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
you could even go a little higher with 3.45's, probably up to around 2800. Find a good transmission shop and go in and have a chat to them, they will be able to explain all your options and the pros and cons of everything.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you never get outside the city much or mostly drive at 80km/h or under go for the 3.7s. If you get out on the highway fairly often go with the 3.45s or even keep the 3.08s. A lock up stall converter is one that retains it's ability to lock solid at a certain speed (normally about 85km/h) You definatly want one of those to keep good fuel ecconomy. Your engine should be comming on its power curve at between 2900-3200 rpm so if you can find a 3000 rpm lock up stall with 3.45s would be probably what I would get with your setup but on a full power launch there may not be much in the way of traction on the street. 3.7s or above is starting to compramise what you can do with the car and a street car really should be able to do everything well, if you decide on the spur of the moment to drive around the country and cruise on >10l/100 well you should be able to do that. The lock up stall at 3000 has no disadvantage so go with that for sure

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
If you get out on the highway fairly often go with the 3.45s or even keep the 3.08s.

Oh come on, don't go all soft! I drove from Melbourne to Brisbane with 3.7s in my VP. It was fine :p

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5L - 12.6@108 stock bottom end & comp
I had 3.9's in my VQ when it was just bolt on. Great gears, I never had traction problems on the street unless I was trying to get it to spin, but most of the time planting it from the line it just hooked up, even with the open centre! Sat on ~2300rpm at 100km/h. But it didn't hurt economy as much as you'd think. The bonus with the 3.9's and auto is to overtake someone, drop it back to third and you fly by without revving too hard. Third gear actualy becomes useable for accelleration.

I've stayed with 3.9's for my new combo, but put a spool in it. I also got an off the shelf 3000rpm dominator convertor for it. Unsure if its lock up or not, bought it off CHEETR a while back and can't remember :p I will prob get a new convertor when the turbo goes on, but for the run-in period NA I hope it runs well!

In summary - Love 3.9's. A mate had 4.11's in his VN wagon and I thought they were just a little short, conversely I have another mate with 3.45's in his VS wagon, and they're too tall i think. So there you go :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Agreed :) 3.9s are good in an auto. I wouldn't suggest going over 3.7s for a manual though.