Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden sacrifices V8 power for economy

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
i wonder if you could tune the Deactivation out of the stock tune. I know there is hardware involved with the shaving, but if you could remove the signals from the sensor, then you could deactivate the system...yes?

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
sure it won't take long for tuners to figure out how to disable AFM.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
Possible even use it to their advantage, Im not sure how yet, but adding extra weight to an engine has gotta do something. I wonder if holden will do a AFM model and a normal model. Like crysler did

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
1 Litre of fuel every 100KM?, why even bother, the average tank gets say around 500KM (gave or take), so your saving around 5 Litres which comes to the grand total of $8 at $1.60 a litre. :whistling

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
1 Litre of fuel every 100KM?, why even bother, the average tank gets say around 500KM (gave or take), so your saving around 5 Litres which comes to the grand total of $8 at $1.60 a litre. :whistling

That is a combined city/highway run. The word is that on a flat or slightly inclided freeway your fuel consumption is nearly halved. The marketing advantage of 1 l/100 is quite large too. I'm with you though - the savings for most average drivers will be bugger all. For most drivers the cost difference between a V6/V8 in fuel is very low over a year anyway.

Possible even use it to their advantage, Im not sure how yet, but adding extra weight to an engine has gotta do something. I wonder if holden will do a AFM model and a normal model. Like crysler did

On the V6??? Don't think so. I understand they are currently testing direct injection which will save in the order of 10% fuel (with a power gain) for the V6 motors.

Reaper

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I'm just glad I got my auto before the AFM came out!

I know that 10KW is not much, but neither is 1L/100km!! Seriously, Holden could have made it more economical by 1L/100km just by de-tuning the engine a bit. And they could probably do that by sacrificing less than 10kw. This is just a marketing stunt.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
The word is that on a flat or slightly inclided freeway your fuel consumption is nearly halved.

That's where the real fuel savings are to be had, highway cruising.

I don't think it's a dumb idea, as said it's only on autos it seems, people can get over it. Still plenty of power really.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
if they cut the power for the next model, but then just bring it back up for the model after that... cant they just... oh I dunno, not cut the power?

I mean surely they'll have to eventually increase the power again, so why cut it in the first place? I just dont think it'll be too good for the eventual resale price... I dunno, just thinking out loud

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
Its not just cutting the fuel consumption. 2 racers at a set of lights. Lights go green and off they go. Then the deactivation cuts in 4 cyls go down and the driver loses and gets larfed at. This is a serious issue ppl's that cant be let happen.