Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disable traction control

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I do question the sensibility of the location of the traction control button in the VF Commodore. I noticed that my wife had been hanging on while I was driving and she had inadvertently been pressing on the traction control button while holding on to the centre console. Unbeknown to me, I was driving without the traction control!

You don't see it flash up on the screen in front of you that it has been switched off?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
You don't see it flash up on the screen in front of you that it has been switched off?

I didn’t notice the DIC messge. I tend to look at the HUD rather than the dashboard. I don’t often notice the ‘performance mode’ message either, but I do notice the high idle once it kicks in!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Haha, thanks for the laught @chrisp. Wonder if that excuse would cut the mustard if you were pulled over for a little oversteer fun with the wife in the passenger seat :cool:

Muscle memory has supposedly also caught out owners of older VE commodores that updated to the VF. They'd go to wind up the window and apply the handbrake instead :mad::p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Call me old fashioned, but it seems a lot of people become more reliant on modern features, such as traction control, cruise control, ABS etc etc. This really shows with some of the postings that have been made.

Yes cars have become more powerful, but learning to drive without these aids should make a person a better driver in the long run, as you're not reliant on these aids to get you out of trouble....your driving skill should keep you out of these situations.

Go ahead and flame me over these comments, but at the end of the day, I continue to drive without these aids and I don't seem to have any issues, as I watch the road and the conditions of it, as well as what other drivers and pedestrians are doing and react accordingly

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
lowest common denominator hence why we will all be getting picked up by driverless taxis in the near future.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Call me old fashioned, but it seems a lot of people become more reliant on modern features, such as traction control, cruise control, ABS etc etc. This really shows with some of the postings that have been made.

Yes cars have become more powerful, but learning to drive without these aids should make a person a better driver in the long run, as you're not reliant on these aids to get you out of trouble....your driving skill should keep you out of these situations.

Go ahead and flame me over these comments, but at the end of the day, I continue to drive without these aids and I don't seem to have any issues, as I watch the road and the conditions of it, as well as what other drivers and pedestrians are doing and react accordingly

Some driver's are very confident in their skill behind the wheel and some have a very over inflated view of their abilities but these driver aids are not about car control, whether you are a 10 out of ten driver or a zero doesn't matter, as they are about human error, drowsiness, distractions, poor road conditions and so on where skill or reflex is often not going to save you.

You can't possibly tell me the average driver can react quicker than a computer chip.

Most older drivers who learnt to drive in the days even before seat belts have seen the improvements in car safety and the carnage of their friends and family that didn't make it along the way and not just because they lacked car control but because of all the other factors that can play a part in a fatal accident , they are the people that welcome these aids as they are also a part of the aging population that made it though the tough driving days and now embrace the fact their tired old reflexes are being helped by technology.

Believe it or not, it hasn't been the media saturation telling us all to slow down that has reduced the road told over the last 10 or more years, it's been the improvement in car safety.

My father raced motorbikes on the weekend and owned some nice high performance cars but he drove like a nanna on the roads because of all the deaths he'd seen.

Sometimes it takes something awful to happen before some people learn that they are not immortal regardless of their skills, just ask Peter Brock's family.

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Most of the time I wouldn't even notice If the abs wasn't working apart from the light being on as I drive old cars most of the time I don't know what its like in SA but recently when I was working in Melbourne I did notice a hell of alot of people drive right on the limit of the tyres they jump in front of you with 2 inches to spare and slam on the breaks as hard as new car can brake. Say they learnt in an abs car they jump on the brakes and never worry about locking the wheels up but have very little comprehension about how close they are to rolling the tyres off the rim is my thoughts on the matter threes a whole bread of these turn outs out there. On a wet day late last year this stupid bitch spun her boyfriends ve around in front of me because the traction control was off luckily I didn't hit her.
To the original poster mr drifter you can never let anyone drive your car if you disable abs and traction they will smash it .
i do use the cruise control if it wasn't factory I've fitted it to pretty much every car I've ever owned. if its there use.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Muscle memory has supposedly also caught out owners of older VE commodores that updated to the VF. They'd go to wind up the window and apply the handbrake instead :mad::p
Yep, done this before on the first day of owning a VF from a VE... made sure it never happened again!

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Call me old fashioned, but it seems a lot of people become more reliant on modern features but learning to drive without these aids should make a person a better driver in the long run, as you're not reliant on these aids to get you out of trouble

Why not become reliant on such features ? Times change and technology adapts. Why should anyone learn to drive without modern driving aids, except perhaps for nostalgic reasons or in the rare event they own such a vehicle for daily driving purposes? With the ubiquity of such reliable and effective technology , there is zero reason not to rely upon it. Modern safety features on cars save lives, end of story.

but at the end of the day, I continue to drive without these aids and I don't seem to have any issues, as I watch the road and the conditions of it, as well as what other drivers and pedestrians are doing and react accordingly

The ignorance here is breathtaking. There is no justification whatsoever to completely dismiss the demonstrable benefits of these excellent safety features. To suggest that your reactionary time and response is in any way comparable is pure fantasy.

Having an old-world, romanticised view of driving probably resonates with most of us here to some degree, but there comes a point where reality has to take over.

By your logic can I assume that you also forego other modern tech such as refrigeration and aircon as well.?

That's in no way meant to sound facetious, it's simply an extrapolation of what you have already espoused.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I think allowing people to turn off TC (via a switch) is a good idea. i was once bogged in sand in my BMW, and would've still been there if i couldn't turn off the TC.

I don't think turning off TC is as dangerous as maybe turning of the ESP/stability control, or whatever its called. My VF wheelspins at will as I'm guessing the tuner couldn't be bothered re calibrating the TC after all the engine mods. The ESP still functions properly, and cuts in as soon as the back steps out.

I turned the ESP off once in this car. Never again :(
I agree. Towing a boat out of the water on a wet ramp is another situation where it's necessary.