Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vacuum Advance at idle question

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Does the ported vac line for the EGR act the same way as the vac line on the VH carby?
yes it applies vacuum only as the throttle opens oberserly once we get into lots of throttle vacuum being sucked thru the small hole doesn't happen anymore as it all goes thru the throttle butterfly. Ive t'ed into the (egr) 8mm hose stepped it down and used it as vac advance it seamed to work all right, on other cars when the distributor was recurved I didn't bothered with vac advance.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
yes it applies vacuum only as the throttle opens oberserly once we get into lots of throttle vacuum being sucked thru the small hole doesn't happen anymore as it all goes thru the throttle butterfly. Ive t'ed into the (egr) 8mm hose stepped it down and used it as vac advance it seamed to work all right, on other cars when the distributor was recurved I didn't bothered with vac advance.

Would using the EGR line be better to put water through it for water injection?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
If it works and you are happy with it thats what counts. I have a VH carby on the VK and it has its own vacuum port so the vac line from the dizzy went there.

I put in a T piece to connect the water feed but i am looking for another spot on the carby that is separate to go into.
:)

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I'm a bit lost on the water feed bit
Where does it come from and where does it(water)go?

I have a VH carby with a vacuum port. The vacuum line from the dizzy goes to that port. I also added a water drip feed from a water bottle (as an anti detonant) with a line to the carby that goes into a T piece into the vac line just before the carby. I would prefer the drip feed was separate and not shared with the vacuum line from the dizzy. I was wondering if the EGR port was a good spot for the drip feed.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
if the water is to stop pinging its probably not sucking any at full throttle when it matters?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
if the water is to stop pinging its probably not sucking any at full throttle when it matters?

Thats what im trying to work out. It should feed at full throttle. It seems to work. It doesn't seem to rattle under load.

There is also a little port on the EGR valve side at the base of the carby that seems to have vacuum all the time that might be a goer (it connects to the air pump line and has a little T in it that goes to the bottom of the air filter housing)

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
What head are U running?Is it stock or have the seats been hardened?
A stock head will most probably always ping or sound like a diesel motor.
An exchange head with the approprate work carried out will stop all the HFs.
It is not that expensive.

Yep stock 202.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
The car needed the dizzy adjusted for more advance today for more power. I am thinking the water is cleaning the heads up and affecting the timing? It runs better now. It loves the water feed.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I changed the water line from feeding into the vac port to the EGR port and it is great.