Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore International. Towbar question.

BR33ZE

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 MY12.5 series 2 sports wagon
Hey peeps,

I want to buy a 2013 original Vf commodore international model.

I also want to source a secondhand tow bar to fit onto it. Do you think this is an easy find or will the more common sv6 tow bar not fit?

It’s just for a bike rack ;)

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Quick search gave me this

https://au.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=towbar vf&hspart=fc&hsimp=yhs-3992&type=fc_AC24F280293_s69_g_e_d050124_nsnidcfsr_c999&param1=7&param2=eJwdjkEOgjAQRa8yS01MO9NCsbL1BG4JCwJt0witARHi6R3cTN57fzMhDk3dPu6EqCtdNZc2sS8pDr1fZtZjxhJJFSw9i7WWKb4YSVuhyAh9FYXhGFzm2q2Ma8c05W8cx06WAuG0xTTkbYH0BkKBNXAwRQ37cebPjZQReIbg+meWCvkhQgIfZ+fzLv/rD65lMts=

Not sure what the rules are in NSW but up here the minute you fit a bike rack and bike which obscures the number plate, you must have an accessory number plate with, afaik, a stop tail/ light which connect to the trailer/towbar plug.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There should be no reason that the towbar should be different. Same car, same chassis, same boot lid surely. Different chrome stripes and leather seats don't affect towbars.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There should be no reason that the towbar should be different. Same car, same chassis, same boot lid surely. Different chrome stripes and leather seats don't affect towbars.
The only reason I could think of for a difference might be a slightly different bumper shape, meaning a piece of trim which fits into the hole you slice in the bumper differs … even if there’re no “mechanical”/mounting differences?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The only reason I could think of for a difference might be a slightly different bumper shape, meaning a piece of trim which fits into the hole you slice in the bumper differs … even if there’re no “mechanical”/mounting differences.
IIRC those tow bar bumper beauty trim pieces can be ordered as individual spare parts for each specific variant

The sedan tow bars* are all the same, being heavy duty square hitch items, except that the Evoke also has a lower weight tow bar version with a flat tongue as an extra added option :) No reason the lower weight towbar can’t be fitted to the upper spec models (ignoring bumper trim availability issues):oops:

The electronics module is an extra part number that requires some vehicle programming once fitted.

* IIRC someone on the forum commented that Hayman Reece were the OEM suppliers for Holden tow bars.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
From my recent experience and VF tow bars . I priced a HD bar for my Evoke, Holden had none so it was time to ring around the tow bar companies. They wanted $ 1000 supply and fit for a Reece hitch. Fook that !!!

So i went hunting for a second hand one and bought it for 250 with wiring harness. I have a sportswagon and the one i bought was for a sedan, Jesus Christ, what a muppet . !!! Did not know they were diffo.

Anyway, sold that one and hunted down one for my wagon. Hardly any around and took me a month to source one from a wrecker for 250 buks plus wiring harness. Had my mechanic bang it on and away i went down the road.

Don't make my mistake... Good luck buddy.

bobthekelpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'17 VF SV6 Wagon
From my recent experience and VF tow bars . I priced a HD bar for my Evoke, Holden had none so it was time to ring around the tow bar companies. They wanted $ 1000 supply and fit for a Reece hitch. Fook that !!!

So i went hunting for a second hand one and bought it for 250 with wiring harness. I have a sportswagon and the one i bought was for a sedan, Jesus Christ, what a muppet . !!! Did not know they were diffo.

Anyway, sold that one and hunted down one for my wagon. Hardly any around and took me a month to source one from a wrecker for 250 buks plus wiring harness. Had my mechanic bang it on and away i went down the road.

Don't make my mistake... Good luck buddy.

I'm hunting for a second hand towbar now.

When the mechanic bung it on, was there any programming involved, as indicated by Skylarking?

The quote I got for a new Hayman Reece tow bar, with ECU module etc fitted came in at $1500!

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
My ride is a VF 2 2015..Evoke. I think God took pity on my silly arse after the same mechanic had ripped the back end from my car & then discovered I had a Sedan tow bar ?? To answer your question. No, the wiring harness provided by the wrecker was plug and play and worked perfectly. No programming needed. Thank fook for that. !!@

Just to add a bit more to that. Maybe i was lucky and the bar i sourced was from a model same as i have and that's why the wiring harness worked perfectly with no programing required. ? Dunno

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm hunting for a second hand towbar now.

When the mechanic bung it on, was there any programming involved, as indicated by Skylarking?

The quote I got for a new Hayman Reece tow bar, with ECU module etc fitted came in at $1500!
There are other brands of towbar available which are a fair bit cheaper than Hayman Reece. Have you checked those?

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
My ride is a VF 2 2015..Evoke. I think God took pity on my silly arse after the same mechanic had ripped the back end from my car & then discovered I had a Sedan tow bar ?? To answer your question. No, the wiring harness provided by the wrecker was plug and play and worked perfectly. No programming needed. Thank fook for that. !!@