Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sleeper

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Remove the drive belt and start it to see if the noise is still there just to prove it’s not a pulley or driven accessory although I doubt it is judging by the sound of that

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This clip is after a long drive and the car was hot. I started the car after waiting 60 minutes to let the lifters bleed down. It sounds worse now.

I think it sounds like a truck. My wife thinks it's a tractor.

Is it just me or does the exhaust sound a bit off on start up?

This sounds very different to the first noise. It’s a buggered bearing somewhere and hopefully it’s an accessory.

As I had said that other noise needs a look before something gives out.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
That second clip sounds reminds me of when my l67 developed coupler supercharger noise.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i can hear what sounds like a bearing squeal (hopefully all that is) and a cylinder firing oddly, check all plugs are on properly and click on, or maby a exhaust leak ? at minimum rocker covers should come off for a visual and feel check, rotate engine to check all rockers, then proceed after that if anything seems worse

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It seems a bit slow to get going rather just coming on song straight away.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Sean at Autowerks was pretty keen to get the car in when he saw and heard the vids.

The rocker covers off found everything Ok up top in the valve train. The problem sound was diagnosed as cylinder 3 with low compression. Compression on other cylinders were fine.

Off came the sump and here is piston 3 and bore. The second ring doesn't look that great either.

We'll be going through the options tomorrow.

Piston.jpg

Bore.jpg

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, maybe 6.2ltrs?

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
A rebuild is required. The #3 bore will be re-sleeved and block machined. No metal found was found in the sump. Everything else appears in good order.

It will get rebuilt with forged pistons and rods. SRP pistons and Callies Compstar rods have been proposed. I want just a basic strong build for boost on the street.

An option is a Callies Compstar stroker crank. I'd prefer a 6.6L or 403 ci. Need to think on that. I've always wanted a stroker but I must say I'm content with my current power levels. The other work is expensive enough. I'm also at the power limits with the restricted quiet exhaust I prefer. I'm also nearing the limits for the trans and fuel system.

Either way, the boost can be turned up with a smaller pulley.

TDC.jpg
Sleeve.jpg

Last edited:

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
A rebuild is required. The #3 bore will be re-sleeved and block machined. No metal found was found in the sump. Everything else appears in good order.

It will get rebuilt with forged pistons and rods. SRP pistons and Callies Compstar rods have been proposed. I want just a basic strong build for boost on the street.

An option is a Callies Compstar stroker crank. I'd prefer a 6.6L or 403 ci. Need to think on that. I've always wanted a stroker but I must say I'm content with my current power levels. The other work is expensive enough. I'm also at the power limits with the restricted quiet exhaust I prefer. I'm also nearing the limits for the trans and fuel system.

Either way, the boost can be turned up with a smaller pulley.

View attachment 269373View attachment 269374

Have you looked into an LSX Performance stroker?

https://www.lsxperformanceparts.com...-engine-upgrade-high-compression-long-engine/