Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Pretty much.

We know their time is valuable....The sooner they're home, the sooner they can sink grog into their guts and carry on like idiots...

Yes, the main culprit reckons I'm a knob and I agree....But at least I actually help a bit and admit I'm a knob....He doesn't help and won't admit being a knob....Just continues carrying on like a twit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So these that are crapping on about extra time and distance, with the associated costs are doing their normal thing of speaking out their ass just for the sake of hanging shite on you......
Yeah several certain members are very good at spending other people's money or lack there of, and then there are those who say nothing but like every post that shits on anything I do or say. All I can say is they must have the perfect life and plenty of time if they constantly need to **** post on any of my achievements.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
So what about peel ovens and brick pizza ovens built 200 years ago, were they built from the materials available now?
Obviously not, and I couldn't agree more that things were built back in the day with the materials available, and to a large extent they were better than a lot of stuff now. But specially made fire bricks for pizza ovens, wood stoves kilns etc, have been developed over more recent years, which I know are more costly.
From when Jesus was a lad we used to build from natural stone and rock, and to stick it all together we used combinations of lime and volcanic ash etc, and yet some of those buildings have far outlasted most of the modern-day stuff.
Cement as we know it now (Portland Cement) was only developed some 200 years ago, and can actually be quite harmful when used to re-point buildings made from older traditional clay bricks or sandstone which were originally built using a cement-free lime-based mortar. You see, Portland cement is impervious and is a barrier to moisture, therefore, when it is used to repair/re-point more porous type clay brick or sandstone type building blocks, it not only acts as a barrier for the moisture to get into the joints, it also acts as a barrier when the moisture absorbed by the bricks and stone tries to get out. Consequently in very cold and freezing conditions, the moisture contained in those bricks and stone freezes, resulting in the faces of the bricks and stones being blown off. You have probably noticed this in older buildings given the chillier conditions in Taz:)
I actually renovated an old basalt rock building on a property we recently owned, which needed re-pointing, and I didn’t want to use cement for the reasons above. I wanted the walls to be able to breath as they once did through the use of traditionally made lime mortar, and so I made my own lime putty/mortar. It was quite laborious and time consuming, and the weather conditions had to be just right or else the mortar wouldn’t dry out if it was too cold and damp, or if too warm it would dry too quickly and crack. I’ll tell you what though, that sh1t dried as hard as nails when it went off.
Lime mortar breathes, cement mortar doesn’t.
The improvements I have made to mine over the years are no so much design, but going larger, cutting bricks on an angle to help with smaller joints,
Oh and Losh, you need to work on cutting them bricks on an angle:)

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpeg
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2469.jpeg
    IMG_2469.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 26

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hahahaha, you obviously never got to see the bricks that were cut on the angle, because the photo you posted doesn't show any. The angle cuts were used on the dome where they helped to get the round shape I needed and reduced the size of the mortar joints. On the chimney area I just needed an arch as it's not a hot area of the oven compared to the dome.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
BTW nice job on the old building. Surprising how these old buildings are still standing today, providing the roof remains in tact. I very much doubt some of these new fancy smancy buildings that are built to the latest building codes with the latest tech in materials will still be standing in another 150 years like many of the old historic buildings are today.

Reactions: Lex

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hahahaha, you obviously never got to see the bricks that were cut on the angle, because the photo you posted doesn't show any. The angle cuts were used on the dome where they helped to get the round shape I needed and reduced the size of the mortar joints. On the chimney area I just needed an arch as it's not a hot area of the oven compared to the dome.
Yeah, I know I know.:)

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
BTW nice job on the old building. Surprising how these old buildings are still standing today, providing the roof remains in tact. I very much doubt some of these new fancy smancy buildings that are built to the latest building codes with the latest tech in materials will still be standing in another 150 years like many of the old historic buildings are today.
Yeah nah.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Also that front arch is not finished yet, but good job on picking the photo with the least pretty part of the oven showing.