Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

06 SV6 Auto trans clunk.

Penguin360

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore 3.8L
Hey guys,

I have a VE 2006 Sv6 commodore with 5 speed auto vac sealed transmission with 120,000kms on the clock my problem is that when driving and coming to a set of lights or to a stop the gearbox makes a rough clunk when downshifting through the gears, but it doesnt do it everytime maybe 1 time out of 10 but lately has been getting worse, louder more harsh clunks, I had the transmission serviced a while ago because I thought it may be something there, the people who did the service on the transmission couldnt fault anything as they said the gear box shows no signs of any damage and looked normal wear and tear. The timing chain stretched also maybe around 110,000kms and was replaced with the newer revised chains and that didnt stop the clunk just the rough running engine. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this and knows what the problem is.

Cheers

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
i think there was an issue with some of the torque converters on this model but im not certain, maybe ask holden? i have definately heard of the issue before but can't remember why.

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
Same problem with a 6 speed auto, Holden said it's back lash in the gear set due to ware. They also said it not a problem.

Do I trust them, no.