Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

07 WM Statesman - My dream car RUINED by it's gearbox!

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
It could be exhaust drone at such low rpm/speed. Mine use to do it till I changed the rear mufflers...

07WMSTATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
There have been many Holden released software updates for the TCM (Trans Control Module) to rectify issues and refine shift changes in the 6 speed auto. Having said that. There are other simple and inexpensive options you can do before persuing the possibility of a replacement gearbox.

1. Have the dealer SPS your car for latest software updates for your model. This will identify what areas (such as engine management, TCM, BCM, instrument cluster etc) of the car have not received the latest software. It will show them (Holden service dept) the software numbers and compare with the update. This will/may cost you and you should ask to speak with the Service forman in carring out the updates. If they have no idea what your talking about or you don't have the confidence they'll actually do the work properly, DON'T go there, find another dealer.

2. Simple auto trans flush with new DEX6 and filter kit. Book it in for a trans service (including the filter kit). WIll cost in around $200 to $300 to do, maybe cheaper... When they refill the auto trans request an additional 600 to 700mils over the recommended level of fluid be done. This is a common practice at Holden service departments which can have great impact on improving the drivability of the car and gearbox when cold (removing harsh shifts) and mild flaring. So apply to the above in regards to which dealer you have do the work.

Hope this provides you with some hope.

Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil, you're a legend! She's due for a service in the next 2,000kms so I'll bring both of those up with them. I don't mind being out of pocket just so long as we can try and get this sorted. I've actually got an extended mechanical protection plan on it but I honestly don't have the time to stuff about trying to get it covered under that. Short of something actually braking, there's just no point. I work at Apple and deal with service jobs frequently and I can understand that these sorts of warranties only cover parts and labour and that any testing the dealers don't get paid for unless parts need replacing. So unless you're willing to pay their hourly rate to have someone crawl over the car trying to hunt the fault down, the only option is pay them to try these steps.

Thanks heaps Phil.

Dan

07WMSTATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
It could be exhaust drone at such low rpm/speed. Mine use to do it till I changed the rear mufflers...

Could be... Only thing that confuses me with that is that the sound only happens, like you said if the engine is labouring, and that's only when the gearbox decides that a high gear at low speeds is a good idea. And with the jerky gear changes, I'm constantly seeing it as a transmission issue. Very confusing......

07WMSTATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
Could be a silly thought, but the 6L can sound like it's 'grinding' when it's labouring badly - 6th at 60 is very low rpm - it's the driving over lane markers analogy that made me think of it.

A lot of people have had good results with the gearbox tunes. The flaring seems to be all but eliminated and the shift points are tuneable - so I'd imagine that they can be tuned to your requirements - not just sharpened.

The VE autos I've driven I've found to be frustrating at best but a good tune may make enough of a difference.

Hmmm, very interesting. Thanks for the advice. Definitely tuning the shift points is an option. At least to eliminate the flaring and maybe get 6th to come in at about 80kmh rather than 60ish... Food for thought. Thanks!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My 4 speed also does the grrrrinding thing when its in 4th at low speeds doing about 1100-1300 revs like you said. Holden have set the shift points at such low revs to try and achieve best possible economy hoping people don't notice the grinding noise. I know exactly what you mean, you drive a nice looking modern car that should be smooth as, but instead of wowing your passengers, the educated ones are saying WTF is that noise man ? I'm sure shifts can be tuned sharper or looser as you wish, and maybe increase the shift speed too so it only drops into 6th at 80 k's or something?
The VE is a great car but i sware it was finished by idiots.

07WMSTATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
My 4 speed also does the grrrrinding thing when its in 4th at low speeds doing about 1100-1300 revs like you said. Holden have set the shift points at such low revs to try and achieve best possible economy hoping people don't notice the grinding noise. I know exactly what you mean, you drive a nice looking modern car that should be smooth as, but instead of wowing your passengers, the educated ones are saying WTF is that noise man ? I'm sure shifts can be tuned sharper or looser as you wish, and maybe increase the shift speed too so it only drops into 6th at 80 k's or something?
The VE is a great car but i sware it was finished by idiots.

Hey mate, you're dead on. Everybody I've driven in it has commented on the noise. You're right, I love the VE/WM but sometimes I wonder where that billion dollars went?!?!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
It went on development, research, engineering, plant and equipment, publicity, marketing, etc...

Then they went ahead and built them for 50 bucks a pop with the cheapest bits they could come across (and getting cheaper) so that it sorta-kinda works like the design.

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
07wmstato go to newy city holden ask for andrew burke he is the service manager and get him to go for a drive with you so as he can hear and experience wat the car is doin and tell him woody sent ya and your a friend of mine ok . i know burky quite well and have known him for 30 odd years , hopefully ya get it sorted if they wont help go out to mario at toronto automatics he is bloody excellent with autos has built me some very tough th350s over the years and a couple indestructable trimatics as well . cheers .

07WMSTATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
07wmstato go to newy city holden ask for andrew burke he is the service manager and get him to go for a drive with you so as he can hear and experience wat the car is doin and tell him woody sent ya and your a friend of mine ok . i know burky quite well and have known him for 30 odd years , hopefully ya get it sorted if they wont help go out to mario at toronto automatics he is bloody excellent with autos has built me some very tough th350s over the years and a couple indestructable trimatics as well . cheers .

Mate, your a legend! I've spoken to Andrew briefly but never about this. She's due for a service in the next couple of weeks, so I'll make sure I see him and let him know you sent me. Thanks again!

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
it shouldn't drop into 6th at that low speed. To me it sounds like the trans needs a tune. My 6 speed works great! only thing i hate is the flare from 2nd to 3rd, but i always drive in sports mode and it doesn't do it at all.