Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1 inch cordless DA polisher - Best bang for buck.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I'm looking to lift my game and purchase the above for 2 - 4 times a year usage and really can't work out if I should be paying big dollars. It seems there's the $250-$500 possibly no namer's, Mint Pro Tools $500, Flex $700 (doesn't include pads), Rupes $1100! Is there any reason with low usage to go to the big names? Anyone got a DA cordless 1 inch?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I had a small cordless DA and there is nothing worse when it starts running slow as the power gives out, never again.

I have a few polishers, a couple over a $1000 and they are great for paint correction but not very versatile when it comes to confined spaces but in truth, polishing in small areas isn't all that necessary unless you're anal like me.

I bought a cheapie on eBay, a SPTA mini Rotary with a whole mess of little attachments for $169.99 free delivery but I can't find the Aussie supplier where I purchased it from.

Here a link to a US supplier to show you what I bought.

SPTA Mini Polishing Machine RO Rotary Polisher Detailing Polishing with 54Pcs... | eBay

I used it today to polish the chrome headlight surrounds on one of my old cars and its little 1/2 inch attachment was perfect for getting in between the headlight and the surround, I used a cone shaped pad.

Here's some photos of mine with some of its attachments, it goes from a 3 inch pad down to a 1/2 inch, it also accepts grinding wheels and has a long flexible shaft for those hard to get at places.

I don't use it much or for heavy jobs but I've had it for a couple of years and its never missed a beat.

It did a great job of restoring an old chrome bumper I had that I thought may need replating.

IMG_9417 1000x.jpg
IMG_9422 1000x.jpg
IMG_9423 1000x.jpg
IMG_9428 1000x.jpg
IMG_9435 1000x.jpg
IMG_9442 1000x.jpg
IMG_9459 1000x.jpg
IMG_9469 1000x.jpg
IMG_9478 1000x.jpg

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I would have thought that the batteries would last, as they're not turning a very big pad. I suppose thats a tick for a well established brand, as there would be battery support forever.
Fact is in my case, every lil nook and cranny does get done and I'm pretty much over inefficiently using my fingers with a pad, when the rest of the car gets a 150mm DA cheapie over it.
Not sure I'd be brave enough with a rotary as above. That extension looks sweet, never new they existed.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The best DA polisher I've had for paintwork is the Makita PO6000C. It cost me nearly $800 early 2017 but they're around $450 now.

1103DBDE9AA63A5E2DAE5B5587CEE22489CD64B49381DE0AC1BCF840E9C3A441.jpeg

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Have done a bit more investigation. Im not saying I'm commiting to the top dogs, but $$$ wise, I'm putting Rupes and Flex on the same playing field. There's about $350 (debatable) worth of pads, sanding disks, brushes and polish not included with Flex to bridge the gap enough.
It seems Rupes likes/needs Rupes pads and their pads prefer their polishes. Apparently some formulations degrade a Rupes pad? So it's a strike against Rupes for locking you into a system, assumimg I have got that info right. Anyone know anything about that?
Flex include 3 plates up to 75mm, Rupes a 30mm and 50mm with a 30mm sanding. Not here nor there really, doubt I'll ever sand anything or use a 75mm, as jumping from a 30/50mm pad to 150mm pad would be no problem.
Rupes looks more ergonomic, though I haven't established its battery capacity and that could have something to do with it. I think they both recharge faster than use, so probably irrelevant.
I'll do the math sometime on long term pad costs. I think Rupes will lose big time.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
It seems Rupes likes/needs Rupes pads and their pads prefer their polishes. Apparently some formulations degrade a Rupes pad? So it's a strike against Rupes for locking you into a system, assumimg I have got that info right. Anyone know anything about that?

Haha, manufacturers will tell you anything to increase their profits.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Manufacturer hasn't told me anything directly or indirectly as yet, but it may be out there officially. Its users and those in the know that have mentioned it here and there in an hour of Googling, but equally, members of forums would/could tell you anything also. I'll keep digging when I have time.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A dual action polisher seems just an orbital polisher by another name.

The crucial bit in its design is the size of the orbits and whether it’s a forced mechanical action or a free induced action. Sadly the manufactures aren’t so clear on that part of the spec relayed to size of orbits…

Really, other than some minor packaging aspects which don’t really cost much more if anything from a manufacturing perspective, I can’t really see what makes a DA polisher intended for vehicle polishing so much more expensive as compared to a Makita cordless orbital sander :p

Obviously the pads are different but sanding discs are also attached via Velcro so how can that add hundreds of dollars to the price of a DApo.is her compared to an orbital sander? It does seems like a bit of Scotty from marketing at work :p:p:p

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Both are rotary as well as free spinning DA. Both have 3mm and 12mm throw. Not sure what makes them $700ish, nor am I am sure why a heck of a lot of pro's use them? Probably sponsored Youtubers. I'm off to Makita's website...