Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$100 VS land barge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S. Datto 620. NH Pajero.
Hi i'm Ben and i'm a tight ass who can never pass up a bargain, so here it is, my $100 VS lexcen.

4dlqozib9

The good : it cost $100, running (just), had a week of rego left and 1/4 of a tank.

The bad : new battery cost me $117, and the following rather critical components are Farked;
Belt tensioner
Belt
Water pump (still ok but on its way out)
Radiator

and the following need attention sooner or later;
Front end bushes
Oil change + filters of every kind.
handbrake
high beam globes.
holes in the muffler

The ugly : its a Lexcen.. front and back bumpers are beat up, bit of a ding near the petrol cap. 4x4 ride height.

A few quirky bits ;
There is current draw somewhere draining my battery slowly.
Starter motor power lead was loose and sparking like a mofo

Just going to get it reliable for now, maybe tinker with it a bit later. Planning on doing it at cheap and cheerful as possible. plenty of dodgy "she'll be right" fixes and mods are in store for this weapon.

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
nice find mate i just found a vs stato 2 months rego for $900 :D

98commyute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS S ute
Pretty good bargain you got their mate, recently one of my mates bought a vr acclaim with two months rego for $250 and it was still running pretty well lol,

Get some more pics up too!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep for the price i couldn't pass it up. Original plan was to fix a couple of bits and have it parked out front with $900ono on the window but i figured even if i spend a few hundred clams to get it up to scratch it's still a cheap comfortable practical car as opposed to my beloved ute that has the worlds smallest cockpit, no suspension travel and the ability to carry feck all in the tray. impracticool

I'll take some more pics later but there's not really much interesting other than some funky interior light and cruise control that both appear to be aftermarket.
Also the lexcens appear to have a different set up with the blinkers and parkers, the parkers are where the indicators should be (next to the headlights) while there is also parking globes in the headlight assembly that are wired up but appear to be redundant. Mine was missing the right front indicator from the bumper anyway so i pulled the looms up and put them in the normal spot and cut n shut the parker loom to the headlight parker globes. cost $0 as opposed to $30 for an indicator assembly from ebay (i dont have the luxury of a wreckers yard over here) See, cheap and cheerful :)

Radiator has a couple of cracks in the usual spot, straight below the top hose and next to the top fan mount lug, I've had a couple of attempts at fixing it with some 2 part epoxy that claims it works on radiators, I beg to differ.
Next time I'm just gonna drill out all the cracks and plug it with JB Weld, Cost $12 as opposed to $80 for a new radiator.

water pump is cheap as hell from ebay but the tensioner i'm gonna get my pants pulled down over. i think i'll start scouring the 'for sale' section on here.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
woah, looks like some works ahead of you haha and i had a laugh at the "she'll be right" part.
and i haven't seen one of those old datto utes in years!

Reaction score
Members Ride
As quoted by myself a couple of posts ago : "Just going to get it reliable for now, maybe tinker with it a bit later"..... its still sitting where i left it last, no rego, dead tensioner and stuffed belt.
But i digress, I've been paying attention to the more important aspects of the car.

Should have enough bass to kill a small child or senior citizen.
220w Pioneer splits 2nd hand from ebay (came with some door pods but those will go in the mrs' car)
225w x4 Soundstorm amp 2nd hand from facebook (to run splits and 6x9s)
Alpine BASS ZR 12" x2 from my brother. (box needs re-sealing)
Alpine V12 1500w 2/1 channel amp also from my brother. (weighs a metric fcktonne)
6x9s are shitty ebay soundstream knockoffs a friend gave to me ages ago, we'll see how long they last with the amp..
Ordering another wiring kit, speaker cable and rca y cables from ebay.
still running the same miserable no brand head unit until i find a dirt cheap replacement.
Also i may swap out the subs for a single 15" in a ported box and bridge that mother of an amp

Also my friend is parting out his rather shagged vs sedan, I almost bought it a while back but i got the ute instead.
Just about everything i need for it i can get off that (inc. a new head unit if its any good)

Haven't done anything else to it as i've been busy sorting a few gremlins including a head gasket on the lady boss' 82 n10 pulsar(which has about 1/3 the amount of kms as the wagon) oh and ragging the **** out of my ute as often as i can :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
You dog doesn`t look happy with it lol.
Subs look good.