Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$125 per defect

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
old news buddy

It's actually not old news. This report is saying that currently with the new fine system for defects the Police have the discretion to issue that fine. As it stands now they can pull you over for a busted globe and just ask you to fix it without fining. What the Government are proposing is to force the Police to issue the fine every single time.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
It's actually not old news. This report is saying that currently with the new fine system for defects the Police have the discretion to issue that fine. As it stands now they can pull you over for a busted globe and just ask you to fix it without fining. What the Government are proposing is to force the Police to issue the fine every single time.

That will never pass..

I was under the impression that police always have discretion , or else if they have to fine for defect, they will be driving down the highway, see a car going the other direction with a headlight out and have to chase them down..

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The most likely effect it will have in the end is that the cops will cease pulling people over for a blown globe.

It wont be worth it to them in terms of time, paperwork and loss of goodwill. Most cops are also human and drive cars, they are aware of what is reasonable and what isnt.

The problem with this is that at the moment, pulling you over for a blown globe allows the copper to have a quick look over your car for obvious more major defects like a bald tyre. If there are none, and it seems your car is in reasonable condition, he can just tell you to get it fixed and leave it at that.

The net effect could be that its easier to get away with a dangerous car because the cops dont want to waste their time and goodwill fining everyone they see with a parking light out, so pull less people over.

Its just a cash grab. Thats what governments do best.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
I read it wrong originally. I thought it was the opposite of how Clair put it...

Really hope that this new proposal does get tossed out. Not because it will let more people off, but they're forcing police to concentrate on the small matters in life. Sorry, but writing a defect AND a fine for a $2 blown taillight seems pretty petty, and a blatant revenue raising scheme.

So how about concentrating on the drug dealers? Or the actual hoons? Murderers? Rapists? Actually dangerous motor vehicles? I'm sure there are a million other things the cops could be or wish they were doing instead of writing out twice the paperwork and taking twice the criticism for a non-life-endangering defect like a blown globe.

ciddyau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
How? Vic pol dont issue fines for defects.. you must have said something to piss him off..

aZk.

No. Depending on the defect and how major it is they can fine you what ever you want.
and I was actually really nice to him like am to all police men It was just unfortunate that I had him to pick me up on it, I know policemen and they said
my cars tyres where drivable but probebly not road worthy.

And bravo, stfu. dont make assumptions about a situation you know nothing about.