Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

125cc 4 Stroke TGB Voodoo Moped

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
Picked up a new daily/cheap work commute last week so I can finally park up the Omega and do the work that is needed. Was blowing white smoking on the ride home (I was aware of that when I purchased it) so I have stripped it down to the frame so I could get to the motor and check over and service it.

I know this is a car forum, but I know some members have 2 wheelers and can maybe help me with some of this new territory for me.

TGB 125cc Moped

- 49K km
- 4 stroke

I dropped the oil (was extremely black and smelt like a**) What oil would some of you recommend for this motor? or is it possible to use say 5w30 Engine oil for this?

If anyone has any tips or ideas on what I should do while I have it pulled apart, feel free to let me know please and thank you!

Someone also pulled a dodgy and removed the finned filter from the casing and replaced it with some foam which really doesn't breathe all too well.

Attachments

• moped.jpg
    moped.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 113
  • moped 2.jpg
    moped 2.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 109

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Isn't foam (lubricated with oil) over the mesh cage the normal air filter style on 2 strokes?
What sort of filter were you expecting for it?

My understanding is the filter element isn't usually the choke point for power on mopeds.

Cool pick up though, and I am keen to follow what you do with it.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Isn't foam (lubricated with oil) over the mesh cage the normal air filter style on 2 strokes?
What sort of filter were you expecting for it?

My understanding is the filter element isn't usually the choke point for power on mopeds.

Cool pick up though, and I am keen to follow what you do with it.
This is all reasonably new to me, so I'm not too sure what I was expecting. But you can see where they have cut the original air filter off the mesh cage and replaced it with foam, whether or not it makes a difference, I won't know until I receive the new one which is this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174759168226

So the history I got on it, was it has been neglected more or less, the oil was jet black more or less and blowing a lot of white smoke. I flushed it, replaced the oil and started it, same problem persists, no change with and without the foam over the filter. I also ran it without the muffler and it doesn't produce near as much smoke as it does with it on. Hopefully meaning that the muffler packing may just be full of old oil and just burning it, I am gonna purchase a new muffler if I can find one and also look at getting a little pod filter setup on it rather than the cage which will be easy enough.

As for the fuel system/carby, the bike has sat with 98 in it since may last year, so could be a case of stale fuel, the smoke produces a pretty rich smell of fuel. So I will be cleaning the tank and flushing the carby as suggested by my mate that has done a few rebuilds (more on dirtbikes) but I trust his wisdom. There is a fair bit a fair bit of carbon build up where the exhaust meets the head, so if all above fails, I will tackle a rebuild, should be easy enough compared to cars though.

When I get to it after work, I will try and get some photos and videos up for it. Need to get her done though as the garage is starting to get full, got my 2 EA's coming Saturday and once this moped is running, the commy will be coming off the road for a fix/freshen up.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
What oil would some of you recommend for this motor? or is it possible to use say 5w30 Engine oil for this?
How different is it to a Briggs and Stratton 4stroke mower engine ?

My 20 year old mower, the oil is supposed to be a mineral monograde, but I have forgotten what I should be using, so I just use the multigrade synthentic 5W30 or 10W30, stays clean, top it up with a bit every now and again, and change it when I think too much about it.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
How different is it to a Briggs and Stratton 4stroke mower engine ?

My 20 year old mower, the oil is supposed to be a mineral monograde, but I have forgotten what I should be using, so I just use the multigrade synthentic 5W30 or 10W30, stays clean, top it up with a bit every now and again, and change it when I think too much about it.
I haven't actually compared it to another motor which I should, knowing they all would be reasonably similar. I made a few calls yesterday to some moto shops and they suggested 10w40 semi synthetic, did a bit more research on that advice and found that I could use castrol magnatec (I know, it has it's downsides) but 5L for $30 was hard to pass up. Means I get 4 more services without spending a penny haha

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Looks like a good project, the foam around the outside of the cartridge filter will extend the life of the filter. All you have to do is wash the foam regularly and the main filter should last for ages.
The carbon buildup could be from lack of maintenance, unless the oil is changed regularly the motor is going to smoke. Good luck with it and l'll be interested to see how it goes.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I should have mentioned that it is not a dirty old neglected push mower .............. it is a 12hp ride-on.
Yea I scored this off my partners friend that has no clue about automotive gear. $200 can't really complain hey. So it seems it has had a hard life, but I know in the end it will be a cheap easy fix up for what it will save me on fuel in the future. A little more to it than I was hoping, but isn't that the fun of these things for us?

Looks like a good project, the foam around the outside of the cartridge filter will extend the life of the filter. All you have to do is wash the foam regularly and the main filter should last for ages.
The carbon buildup could be from lack of maintenance, unless the oil is changed regularly the motor is going to smoke. Good luck with it and l'll be interested to see how it goes.
So when I receive the new filter, the foam around the cartridge itself, I just keep clean and the paper filter should keep rather pristine? That's extremely handy to know, until your comment, I thought it was just something that came as protection for the paper filter. But now I shall keep it on!

Yea the oil hasn't been changed regularly, that's a certain. But as I have 5L of oil to play with, I will get it as good as I can, do a few K's with the oil that's in it and flush and replace a few times until things start to look cleaner. Unfortunately the Service manual has no pages for service stamps or comments and was the only booklet that was with it. So a lot like my Omega haha gotta love a mystery.

Maybe a silly question, but if I were to get a steel drill brush up in the head opening and give it a little clean out, then start up the moped to spit out the loose bits, would that work? to help clean it up a little? or is that dumb