Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

130 km/h Interstate Speed Limits

Jonnii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z-Series Ute
That, in addition to the fact that Europeans are required by law to keep their cars in tip top condition, hence why most of them drive newish cars. I see old shitters getting around Bundaberg that would be scary enough to drive at 100 km/h, let alone at 130+.

I think that need to be addressed before the limits are put up. The amount of cars you see with body parts hanging off, blown head/tail lights, making weird crazy engine noises like they are about to explode and jsut generly in bad condition. Its scary enough thinking about those cars getting on the freeway now let alone at 130 km/h

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i still think they need to put the monash/citylink up to 100km/h (currently 80 for no reason!) before they look at making 130km/h anywhere else.

but dont forget you would want to get the gears in your cars fixed up so your not clapping your old vs out on the limiter.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Ive just driven from Adelaide to Melbourne and back in the lst few days and from what I've seen it would be a great idea. Most of the drive is on straight roads and there is overtaking lanes every few klms. The worst part of the trip I did is when I got into victoria and only could do 100. With cars getting more and more advanced they can handle a slightly highter speed on the highway, the only thing that needs to be done is to get the old and unroadworthy cars off the road!

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Having done 190 between Darwin and Alice a few years ago (in an X Trail - don't ask why), I can testify that the state of the roads there were not in the condition for a period of low altitude flying. Overtook police cars like they were stationary, not even a glance from them. They catch you at the next servo and wave as they coast by - you have to keep refueling.....

The roads around Brisbane are perfect for helicopters. There is no way you could seriously take a car above the speed limit currently. There are in places more potholes than Tarmac. They get filled but then subside, wash out or get chewed up by ordinary cars within days.

I would support increased limits with more driver training and someone to instruct the Qld government in the art of road creation and maintenance. The other requirement would be mandatory road worthy each year.

The concept goes hand in hand with the earlier post relating to restrictions on vehicle mods and the like. If you decrease the average age of cars, improve safety features (by default) , improve driver training and fix the roads, there is no reason not to increase the limits.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
This can NOT happen until there is PROPER driver education in Australia.

You cannot compare German roads and Australian roads without taking into account the far superior driver education and licencing systems in Europe.

Seconded.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

franck

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive 5.0 M5
thats why they need to increase the speed, i could have a shag while drivig at the current speed limit on the f3 and stll make it home in one piece..its too farkin slow!!!
I would love it but the snag is there are too many people who dont pay enough attention to the road to travel at that speed, god NSW people think of the F3 at 130km/hr let alone 150.

scott

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
thats why they need to increase the speed, i could have a shag while drivig at the current speed limit on the f3 and stll make it home in one piece..its too farkin slow!!!

yeah thats all well and good for u, but there are so many major crashes on the f3 at the current speed limit

franck

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive 5.0 M5
yes your right but thats because most of the times drivers stick to 100kph and all three lanes are blocked, then people behind get impatient, and do stupid agressive things to get through. increasing the speed may not fix it, but possibly if a drivers limit is 110 then maybe that driver will stay in the left lane out of the way and other drivers that want to drive at 130kph and are confident will be able to get through, without the hassels of everyone driving at the same speed not getting anywhere
yeah thats all well and good for u, but there are so many major crashes on the f3 at the current speed limit

Last edited: