Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

130 km/h Interstate Speed Limits

Senetor17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Redline Voodoo
Most of our interstate roads are built on a European design for 140 kph travel. Just government cash cows keep the limits at 100 - 110 kph. While I have seen parts of the southern freeway where such speeds would be dangerous, south of Mittagong to Yass/ Canberra should be raised to 130+, also many good countly roads and interstates should have the limits raised. It would be better fur Fuel economy, greenhouse emmitions, and greatly reduce fatigue.

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Or the additional safety gear carried onboard all EU registered cars; first aid kit, triangle, 2 x high-vis vests etc. All part of their wholesome approach.
What did Clarkson say, if you wear the high vis jacket you won't get hit by a train. If someone drives into you with your hazards blinking, a triangle and some high vis vests won't help much --> the first aid kit after that will.
You don't get it do you? The triangle is placed AHEAD of 'the scene', up to 200m (steps) before it when on a motorway - to the side of the road or lane. Thats a few seconds extra warning; it invokes caution (1 x triangle is mandatory in EU cars). The "high-vis" vest (2 of them mandatory in ALL EU registered cars) aids in pedestrian safety, in Germany the vest must be worn BEFORE exiting the vehicle in 90km/h zones and above. You should understand that hazard-warning lights can be knocked out, and cannot be seen, no matter how much you drink - WHEN around bends, corners or curves, or over crests or over a hill, duh:)
GOVERNMENT OF FRANCE AD RE THE TRIANGLE AND VEST (See also my WA GovCo SIG):-

Le site de la Sécurité Routière - Le gilet et le triangle

Though I do like the idea of all cars having LED daytime running lights.
DRL's are not just LED technology, incandecent bulbed types exist 'factory' too (P12v/21watt), think VW models. The Feds feel Australia hasn't the "low-light" levels of Europe, and so are not that enthausiastic about mandating the ADR for DRL's. Best chance to mandate them, would be for A STATE to do so, as VIC did with side curtain airbags, traction control etc. State power! Personally, I am happy to switch on my low-beam headlights when needed, or when required under law.

All that said, I think 130kph is a reasonable speed and a good compromise between that and everyone who wants 150+. Something that needs to be considered as well is fuel use, at 150kph, many modern 4cyl as well as our V6 Ecotecs, would chug decent bits of fuel. 130 is the upper limit of good fuel economy in most cars.
Fuel use is a matter for the individual, its NOT my business how much fuel you use. If you can afford it, great!

ATSB's OFFICIAL STUDY INTO 130KM/H SPEED LIMITS FOR AUSTRALIA, 2003 - "CIR-216".
CR 216: Potential Benefits and Costs of Speed Changes on Rural Roads (2003)

The full study, Pdf:-
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/publications/2003/pdf/Rural_Speed_2.pdf

NORTHERN TERRITORY NOTE:
True, that the Communist Party under Clare Martin imposed a rural default speed-limit of 110km/h, AND signposted 130km/h zones on key NT highways after December 2006. A silly move that one.

Now, NT's Country Liberal Party have signalled, as party policy for the next NT election, their intention to reinstate "SPEED DERESTRICTION" (//) on some existing 130km/h zones. It does not green light idiot speeds and immature loons.

This CLP move is appropriate, turn off a derestricted (//) highway onto another rural road, and the 110km/h 'rural default' applies, UNLESS - a speed limit sign shows a new speed limit, OR another derestriction sign applies.
NT CLP SPEED LIMITS POLICY, AUGUST 2011:-
SPEED LIMITS

A NOTE ABOUT AUSTRALIAN FREEWAY/MOTORWAY DESIGN:-
Unlike Europe, which Aussie folk often refer as true evidence of safe, high-speed travel, our domestic intercity full-freeway construction AND intercity divided dual-carriageway roads have wide (10-13m out to 20+m) medians that bear "U-Turn bays". European freeways typically have a 4.0m wide median and NO U-Turn bays.

What we get then are way too many loons who delight in doing illegal U-Turns,- to either 'go-back' (bad journey planning), or to enter a business on the other side of the carriageway, and in doing so ignore the prohibitory warning signs. We then get crashes; written off vehicles, injuries and deaths, AND the affected road is then stuffed for hours on end. For this reason of itself we MUST NOT raise the limit beyond 110km/h, let alone the other Euro stuff discussed above that we lack - all items learn't of the "whole of system" EU approach.

All is not lost;
a) We will, eventually get this stuffed mandated; and
b) Those U-Turn bays, at least in NSW on the F3 and on the under construction Hunter Freeway, are being "upgraded" to deter idiots from doing illegal U-Turns. See the link below for an example of this design work. DO THIS -and our high-standard 'full freeway' roads at least, are then candidates for speed limits 120-130km/h.
NSW Fwy Typical Median Cross Treatment

Its quite inappropriate to proceed to raise freeway limits otherwise. I'd predict suburban freeways will remain in the range 90-120km/h after U-Turn bay treatment, ditto dual carriageway roads such as the VIC Hume, NSW Hume. This long road has both INTERSECTIONS and the safer desired GRADE-SEPARATED INTERCHANGE. A 'freeway' only has INTERCHANGES. So MUCH work to be done.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
We dont care about ####ing safety triangles o.k it has nothing to do with a 130kph speed limit.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
NORTHERN TERRITORY NOTE:
True, that the Communist Party under Clare Martin imposed a rural default speed-limit of 110km/h, AND signposted 130km/h zones on key NT highways after December 2006. A silly move that one.

Now, NT's Country Liberal Party have signalled, as party policy for the next NT election, their intention to reinstate "SPEED DERESTRICTION" (//) on some existing 130km/h zones. It does not green light idiot speeds and immature loons.

This CLP move is appropriate, turn off a derestricted (//) highway onto another rural road, and the 110km/h 'rural default' applies, UNLESS - a speed limit sign shows a new speed limit, OR another derestriction sign applies.

You will actually find that resistance to the imposition of open road speed limits was a bipartisan one. The NT was blackmailed into doing it by the Howard government, with the threat of some existing road funding being withdrawn and additional road funding not being offered if the existing rules were not changed. Both parties were resistant to it, as to support it was a form of political suicide in that state.

If its changing back, its because a/ the political environment has changed, so the blackmail is gone, and b/ they probably already have received the carrot ( extra road funding), so the stick (removing existing road funding) is no longer as effective.

The NT road toll was never excessive compared to other states, the lack of open road limits did NOT significantly add to the road toll. High speed accidents are rare on the open road in the NT, most are attributed to alcohol and fatigue.

The most major accidents in the NT, and the ones that have the most effect on the road toll, are overloaded 4wds on dirt roads. These are driven by people who are either inexperienced on dirt roads, pissed or tired, or a combination of the 3. These accidents happen at well under 100kmh, and usually involve multiple fatalities.

Imposing an open road speed limit in the NT did nothing but increase fatigue related deaths.

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
We dont care about ####ing safety triangles o.k it has nothing to do with a 130kph speed limit.
Speak for yourself young man, try and let this all sink in; we won't raise speed limits, guaranteed, until we get ALL the safety gear - 'as part of a whole of system approach'. Your personal attitudinal issues with me and ignorance on the matter are not reflective of the state road agency positions, nor of political realities. Rem too, women drive and thats what? Some 50+% of the population, and I'll lay odds on that many of them don't wan't higher limits 'cos babies will die'. (There goes Keepleft being a sexist pig). I'd like to be wrong on that last bit.

It's actually you that doesn't get it. Download that Top Gear episode then you will.
I had viewed the link before posting. They are free to contact me for a few reality checks, I am far more in tune with what is happening here, and internationally, than these three intellectuals combined. You haven't read or seen the backlash by police, academia and Government against their comments? I am simply signalling a way forward; to safely achieve the goal of 120-130km/h limit on intercity 'freeway', and I post one example of how that is being achieved and cop crap for doing so? In fact, in road safety education I began that task back in 1994 with the NSW Road Users Handbook's "Driving on The Freeway/Motorway" text, because lane discipline is vital. Bit by bit - is how you prepare.

What have you, or anyone else done here to improve the likelihood of 120-130km/h on intercity freeway, aside from nagging and whinging on forums?

You will actually find that resistance to the imposition of open road speed limits was a bipartisan one.
This is absolutely incorrect, CLP and IND were against speed-limit introduction, I had that in writing, as part of my advocacy for (//) retention. The Communist Party simply follwed the new party line and agenda; that 'speed kills and derestriction would kill billions'.

The NT was blackmailed into doing it by the Howard government, with the threat of some existing road funding being withdrawn and additional road funding not being offered if the existing rules were not changed.
Also NOT true, no threats whatsoever were made to cut off NT road funding, though a couple of individuals had it assumed so early on. That is not how federal government tier operates here, even with the Commies under Julia in power; it did in the United States though over the federally imposed 55Mph, when various states refused or resisted enforcing it when it was active 1974-1995, here, the US Feds threatened to withold funding against a couple of US states.

The 'change' derived from a dedicated local and interstate academic campaign to 'control speed in NT'. I warned this and other motor forums of this development back in 2006; "NT Speed Derestriction Under Serious Threat".

Both parties were resistant to it, as to support it was a form of political suicide in that state.
Again, CLP were NOT in favour of removing (//), a couple of Communist Party members were nervous about introducing speed-limits, but adopted the party line and program agenda; they are the ONLY party throughout Australian history that have overturned speed derestriction, from VIC to NSW to WA. They like 'control' over the populace.

If its changing back, its because a/ the political environment has changed, so the blackmail is gone,
No blackmail involved. CLP and only CLP to date are reverting back to derestriction, but only on NT main highways, and the speed-limit has been pointless, and damaging. Derestriction is NOT Commie Party 'policy'.

and b/ they probably already have received the carrot ( extra road funding), so the stick (removing existing road funding) is no longer as effective.
On the contrary, funding has reduced in real terms since 2006, and the result shows on the Stuart Highway for example, its quality is not what it was in parts. Means - that when (//) is reintroduced, it won't be the length that is otherwise desired, until, as CLP say, they can secure greater road maintenance funding from that left-wing idiots paradise; Canberra.

The NT road toll was never excessive compared to other states, the lack of open road limits did NOT significantly add to the road toll. High speed accidents are rare on the open road in the NT, most are attributed to alcohol and fatigue.
Yep, pretty much:)

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I've got a safety triangle in my Statesman, I think it cam from the factory. Never used it though, just a handy place to keep the locknut adapter for my wheels.
They're pretty pointless as far a I can see, whats a plastic triangle gonna do that Hazard lights can't?

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6

Speak for yourself young man, try and let this all sink in; we won't raise speed limits, guaranteed, until we get ALL the safety gear - 'as part of a whole of system approach'. Your personal attitudinal issues with me and ignorance on the matter are not reflective of the state road agency positions, nor of political realities. Rem too, women drive and thats what? Some 50+% of the population, and I'll lay odds on that many of them don't wan't higher limits 'cos babies will die'. (There goes Keepleft being a sexist pig). I'd like to be wrong on that last bit.

I daresay that TVR's attitude to your response is not just a personal attitudinal issue with you but a refelction on the wider JC community. We get it you want everyone to buy safety triangles. You don't have to bring the bloody triangles into every topic, you are known as 'Triangle Man' here you have made your point so when you keep preaching the same crap all the time even when its off topic don't expect a positive response.

Your women won't want the speed limits raised 'cos babies will die' is offensive.