Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

179 converted to 202???

D

dynamite

will a 202 crank turn my 179 red into a 202???
heads ect seem to be identical, though they are probably different chamber sizes.
could putting a 202 crank increase compression/power??

P

portercg

You want to build a "cheater" engine? cool!

But no you won't get 202 cubes, just get a 202 if you want a 202,
If you still want to put a 202 crank in a 179, I think you will also have to get 202 rods put on your 179 pistons, and have everything measured and maybe even have the block line bored. Use a blue motor crank as they have more counterweights and will rev really well.
because your new 179/202 hybrid will have different power charactersitics, you will have to re-jet the carby, Maybe the advance curve in the distributor will be OK with it etc etc. So unless you have a specific reason, better to get a complete 202 and have no hassles

202 bore is 3.6250" and stroke is 3.25'
Note sure what the exact 179 bore is but the stroke is 3.00" 202 was the only one with a 3.25" crank.

D

dynamite

thanks guys.
i actually building a holden powered dune buggy/drag/drift machine.
i have the 179 but at the end of the day all i want is power!!!!!!!!

buggy came with subaru gear in it (now making a mess in my garage)
nut will be one MEAN machine.

i don't want to take the rb30 line, i'm bias and don't see that as a real holden motor being nissan made and all

P

portercg

Yeah the HP block had extra meat everywhere and the hot setup was HP block with a steel crank.
But to be honest when the 3300 blue/black motors came out they made all red motors redundant when it came to reliable power and revs., good crank, strong rods, good breathing and even the stocker inlet/exhaust manifolds did alright once you shut down the warmup bypass

Now that I know what you want to build just go all out and make it stupid hot and above all have fun

G

GMH 72

A 202 crank will definately fit into a 179 block. There is machining to do of course and i think it's the crank mains that are machined. I have a 179HP with a blue 202 crank & Yella Terra 12 port aluminium head that is port matched to a 12 port webber manifold and 6 x 50mm throttle bodies with MoTeC ECU in an XU-1. Haven't had it running yet but supposed to be around 300+ HP.

:driving: