Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

179 vs 304

oOSparkyOo

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vt series 2 calais
ported, bored, shaved, yellow terra head, hp block, stage 3 cam, extractors, fire streak manifold, 350 holley in a lj torana all i can describe on it atm

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Got to remember a stock 5L is making around 220fwhp whereas a stock 'HP' 179 was around 100fwhp at it's best. That's without even considering the huge difference in torque figures between the 2 engines.

So you'd be looking at some serious mods to make up the difference.

Also depends what car the 179 is in ?
a fairly hot 179 in a little LJ Torana would probably shame a stock 5L Commodore ute.
but that same engine in a big HK wouldn't be so great

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
[Random double post]

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
ported, bored, shaved, yellow terra head, hp block, stage 3 cam, extractors, fire streak manifold, 350 holley in a lj torana all i can describe on it atm

Add forced induction.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I will tell you what. My mate back in the day had a 202 that was for all intent a copy of XU1 motor + more port work. Back then it was a _very_ fast car and in a LJ Torana ran 9.2 on the 1/8th mile with a little wheelspin. Fast forward 15 years and I ran a 9.0 with a stock 5 litre in a VP with perfect traction. I'd say they would be both about equal. But this 202 would have smashed the 179 you talk about so it would just depend on how good this stock 5 litre is. I would say that this 179 in a LJ with a holly wouldn't be able to beat about 9.7 ish on the 1/8th (I know guy with a very similar 202 and it wont do better than that) and that's also the range most average stock 100% stock 5 litres run

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
i reakon the lj would be quicker than most standard 5l on the street but mite struggle a bit against 1 with abit of tune! back when used to race ljs it took a decent little motor to run into the 14s 1/4mile and ive seen standard 5ls with just an exhaust and chip run high 14s! so its a case of u mite win sum u mite loose sum. make sure u get a good jump on the start that always helps. lol

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
i reakon the lj would be quicker than most standard 5l on the street but mite struggle a bit against 1 with abit of tune! back when used to race ljs it took a decent little motor to run into the 14s 1/4mile and ive seen standard 5ls with just an exhaust and chip run high 14s! so its a case of u mite win sum u mite loose sum. make sure u get a good jump on the start that always helps. lol

Pretty much every decent stock 5 litre will run a 14, the good runs are running 14 flat. There were LJ's that could run 13's back in the day with a good 202 in them but very few and far between, it's all that much harder with a 179, 20 cubes counts for alot in motors that don't make much power

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
a stock 5ltr running a 14 flat??? get ya hand off it, lucky to run a 15 flat