Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

190kw transplant. Ecu from another 190kw engine, will the ecu work?

dukesofhazard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve ss redline
Hi. My 05 holden rodeo did the cams so i replaced rhem just to find out it had also done a valve and subsequently a hile in the #2 piston.
So i brought another engine from an 05 vz and changed the old rimeing gear out foe the new ones i put into the old engine. Timed it up perfectly.
But when putting the loom back on i realised two extra sensor plugs (the cam position sensors) and at that point i learnt the differance between the 175kw engine that the rodeo has, and rhe 190kw engine the car has otherthan all the bolt on bits. Eing opposite such as the altinator on other side of block and different sump etc.
So my question is........
Can i simply put the 190kw engine harness back on and change the ecu from the old ute one, to one from another 190kw car?
Will it need to be flashed?
Do i need a pim and bcm aswell?
Or should i simply pay the stupid money ppl want for a 175kw engine like the ute had originaly?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Get the right engine. Without all the sensors plugged in and the variable flow intake working, you be getting poor fuel economy and less than 175kW.

The electronic differences between the two motors amount to an engine swap project.

The ECM needs to be flashed/VIN matched to the rest of the car so the CANBus can talk to the other modules.