Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1960 Split Window Kombi

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Hi all, thought I would start this thread to stop it cluttering up my Senator one. So my wife and I want to do some cruising around Oz in a few years, but I am not a Winnebago kinda guy, so have always thought of building a nice cool split window Kombi.

Just picked this one up, just couldn't resist for the price. Not exactly sure of the year yet, but I am thinking between 1958-62. Rear half is pretty solid, but the car was used as a donor car and the front is a mess panel wise. I wont really get stuck into the job for another year or so. Right now it isn't on wheels, so i need to sort some, then get it rolling so i can get it home.

Those of you that know of my Senator know I did most of the mechanical work on that, but on the Kombi I want to teach myself how to do panel and paint. Its a lot of work but a Kombi is a relatively simple car, I am not after show quality (famous last words) but I do want it to be cool.

I am thinking probably something liek a 2500cc Scat motor, new gearbox, air bag suspension, disc brake conversion, Fuchs rims. Some sort of two tone paint. Internally a small bed, and an area to make a coffee and a sandwich. Should be a bit of a fun. This is how it sits now.

Last edited:

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Had our first win today. Managed to score 4 (ones not in pic) good nick Kombi wheels with good second hand tyres, and a full set of wheel nuts for $120 the lot around the corner from my work off Gumtree. I wont be using them on the car when its done but they will be perfect for getting it mobile to put it on the trailer then move it around at home.

Also went up to have a look and take Suesy. Apparently it comes with a drivers door, also the rear engine hatch, he had taken them off and stored them, so pleased about that. So need the side barn doors and a passenger side front door.

Also came across this pick, this is much more like I have planned :)

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Not going to be very practical for camping with a big 454 in it but I'm sure you will work something out :p

Kidding of course.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's perfect you have the whole back space to sleep in. Cover it in heat proof shield and your done. Then you can leave it open in winter to so it's practical.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will just leave this here.

Last edited by a moderator:

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
lol, never been a real fan of a different make engine transplant, I bend the rule for Chev into Holden, or Porsche into VW. Long way to go before I get there but these guys are quite renowned in the VW scene. Sort of the LSx of the volksy world.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Those splits with near any colour pastal/white look great IMO. *really* looking forward to this build.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Actually toying with the idea of the "color" being the same grey as my senator, and the lighter part either creme or the same silver as the highlights on the Senator. Hoping to get it photo shopped to see what it would look like.