Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1981 Volvo 244 GL 2.3

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Well, much has been done in the last week. Orange wreckers has been a godsend for getting the necessary but hard to find parts, and have been able to get them for basically nothing (they are currently wrecking four Volvo 240s). Car is basically finished save for the dash (getting recovered right now) and the various items I am ordering in from overseas and am waiting on. Postage is horrendous but nothing compared to genuine volvo parts pricing in Australia.

Here are some pics.....

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Finished it today!

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is now club registered. Soft brakes that were pulling to one side have been fixed. Fitted genuine factory rear roller blind just now.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just to update....quite a bit has been done.....
- Sourced entire vehicle history via the Roads and Maritime Services courtesy of an FOI request
- Found out original rego plate and added it to the vehcle as a personal plate (as such, now on full rego)
- As a result of the new history that I have I searched the SMH archives and actually found two classified ads for it in different years!
- New display board all about the Volvo 240 and the history of particular history.
- balljoints, wheel bearings replaced, front discs skimmed
- new inlet manifold gasket and injector seals (vacuum leak)
- new exhaust

R

Risky

A mate of mine many years ago had a 242 which he converted to take a Mazda 13B rotary engine & it went like a scolded cat. The handling was excellent.

There's one thing missing from your Volvo that's an absolute important accessory & that is the hat on the parcel shelf.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A mate of mine many years ago had a 242 which he converted to take a Mazda 13B rotary engine & it went like a scolded cat. The handling was excellent.
I don't think it's worth creating another thread, but in case anyone looking at this thread is at all interested, this is my doesn't-get-driven-in-the rain car (the thumbnails are links):

It's not "restored" per se, and if I were doing it now I'd do it a bit differently; but using 940 Turbo bits on a 240 & being sure they would fit wasn't a Thing when I started 17-ish years ago! So it's got custom exhaust manifold, water/oil piping, dump, intercooler & associated piping etc - which I could've sourced from other RWD Volvos. Also has a fairly lumpy cam, MoTeC M84 running it, LS1 coilpacks. TrueTrac LSD, W58 Supra 5spd, Bilstein Sports, I had it measured-up for springs & East Coast Suspension found some VC Commodore King's Springs with exactly the right specs, most bushes are Nolathane, and everything steering/suspension is new.

And when I was driving a VS Ecomoo Berlina for a daily (ie. until last year) the Volvo felt firm, fully controlled & just-right.
Now I'm comparing to a VF Redline is a daily, the Volvo now feels a bit vague & not-feedbacky-enough. :)

Anyhoo, it goes better than something with a stock 13B in it would ... although a 13B is capable of more power for less money than the 2.3L Volvo engine in it. Having said that, it's probably hard to find a 13B these days!

There's one thing missing from your Volvo that's an absolute important accessory & that is the hat on the parcel shelf.
I've not done the interior yet, but when I finally get around to it - I'm getting some heavy-duty Velcro attached to the parcel-self so the panama hat can be stuck firmly in place.
I even fitted mudflaps (the last OEM 242GT ones in the country apparently - shorter to suit the lower standard ride-height) to this end. :)

But enough about me ... let's talk about me^D^Dthe 244GL!
I've always been interested in that colour, it's so eye-searingly early-80's WHAM-style HyperColour. Nice to see a GL being restored, they were so common when I started on mine that most people just haven't bothered ... one of these days I may regret not restoring a GT but instead totally changing it; but not yet for me.

R

Risky

I helped my mate with the 13B conversion on is 242 back in the late '80's. I've been trying to find photos of it. The paint was that deep dark green but it was dull. it was kept that way by my mate as to not attract too much attention. Mind you the 13B spoke for iteself lol. The hat he had for his parcel shelf was a Volvo baseball cap he bought at a dealer. I'll have to find those damned photos!