Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1984 Vh not started in years

metalfossil

Reaction score
No mine is an original low k one owner job I bought a few years back - a weekend cruiser with a few low key mods planned... But I think these cars came standard with cooling issues, especially auto's with A/C. I have spent $$ on it - new 3 line rad, large electric fan etc etc - still not convinced that it has done the trick waiting for the next hot day to test it out........ got any pics of yours? (I love the VH's!)

Mmmm, I never had any problems with mine overheating with the a/c on. Is yours an eight or a six? Would you believe I even owned a Starfire VH 4 cylinder with a/c? That never overheated either. I posted a couple of pics in a previous post.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
LOL I didn't think that A/C was an option on a starfire!! Mine is a 308, pretty much stock, and I also used to own a VH SL/X 253 auto years ago and had cooling issues with that too, I must be one of the unlucky ones!!

By the way that brown water leaking on your passenger side is undoubtedly your heater core, if you are lucky it could be a rotten hose as ari666 said but usually it's a burst heater core - an absolute bitch to replace I'm sorry to say.

Also, VH's have a tenedency to leak from around the windscreen when it rains, best way to fix that is to take your screen out and re-seal it.

Edit: BTW I like the pics, classic original - keep it that way!!

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
If you still need to repair that broken stud, I would suggest you get an adjustable top from K-Mac suspension parts. The standard ones only allow 3 positions to adjust camber and caster, The k-mac allow you to do a much more accurate wheel alignment. HERE They are not cheap but will save on Tyre wear and if you ever want to lower the car, the correct adjustments can be made to compensate. They are also made from a longer lasting neoprene that will prolly last longer than the car where as the rubber in the originals is well past its use by date. One new stud could fix your problem but fitting these will pay off for you in the long term

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i hear standard strut tops are fine for regular cars. they been working on my VK for the last 20 odd years. and doesnt have that gay bright red neolathane bush.

(just my opinion) this is a very neat, clean, original sl/x NOT a group z cc ss HDT brock, wanked up wanna be car.

stock
clean
original.
worth 3 times the price of a modified version

why would he need varying degrees of camber adjustment if its standard ride height with standard rims?

but yeah, soz OP i get excited by classic examples, if you wanna mod it, then by all means go for it, its your car.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
i hear standard strut tops are fine for regular cars. they been working on my VK for the last 20 odd years. and doesnt have that gay bright red neolathane bush.

(just my opinion) this is a very neat, clean, original sl/x NOT a group z cc ss HDT brock, wanked up wanna be car.

stock
clean
original.
worth 3 times the price of a modified version

why would he need varying degrees of camber adjustment if its standard ride height with standard rims?

but yeah, soz OP i get excited by classic examples, if you wanna mod it, then by all means go for it, its your car.

I could not agree more. 100% with ari666 on that one.

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
What a bunch of sooks. If you are keeping the car as is, Thats fine its your car your choice but to these others that think giving a car an adjustable wheel alignment is modding it up or for HSV wannabes... LOL get over it. I made a suggestion that will make the car more drivable and make wheel alignment alot more acurate,in the long run it would make the car a better car, and I am pretty sure you can get them in black neoprene that dont stand out like the red ones so ppffffttt. Opinions are like assholes everyone has one its just that some of them stink.