Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1986 VL Won't Start

lolSam

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Executive
Hi,

Absolutely stumped with my car and thought maybe some of you guys could give me some insight as what could be the problem as I'm not mechanically savvy what-so-ever.
It is a 1986 VL Executive, everything is stock afaik.

Basically, Car was running fine then just died on me mid-drive. After pulling over & attempting to start it, it just won't go. It cranks (I think this is the correct term.. turns over?) but won't fire.

These are what I have done/checked so far:
  • Has Spark
  • Can hear fuel pump, removed fuel line & fuel is flowing
  • Replaced CAS
  • Tried separate (working) ECU, Still nothing
  • Battery is brand new

I believe the car was/is at about 1/4 fuel if not just under but I keep being told that it wouldn't cause an issue, Are they correct or is it worth throwing a few liters in?

Cheers,
Sam.

walkierep

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina
have you checked all the earths are connected mate as this can cause it

lolSam

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Executive
have you checked all the earths are connected mate as this can cause it

I'll get it looked at (My Dad & Bro are the ones who check it all, I just spectate and learn what I can :p)
Thanks, Keep them coming thanks guys!

walkierep

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina
no worries mate let us know how that go's it's quite often something simply like an earth just floating and not bolted to the car

walkierep

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina
What earths exactly am I meant to check?
the one to the gearbox or motor but go through and check all the connections make sure to check any of the wires also haven't broken or dirty connections

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
sound like a CAS fault,,, Pull the diagnostic codes from the ecu.. Check the Plug on the CAS for corossion and pull back the rubber boot on this plug and check if no wires has become uncrimped, or corroded off.

lolSam

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Executive
All Earth's seem to be fine, Brand new external Fuel Pump & it won't go still. Have a brand new internal pump but not installed.

When pulling off the fuel line, is there meant to be pressure (eg. It 'splurts' out due to high pessure)? Cause that ISN'T happening.

mrvdv

vanders
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Holden Commodore
have you replaced your fuel filter?? and as someone had mentioned the CAS... check the plug as well. i had the same issue with my RB30

bill77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL commodore Berlina
Now i am scratching my head so much i am getting a bald patch.
Iv'e sent three mechanics to mental institutions
wife is ready to leave me for spending to much time on this VL.
Need help desperately lol.

OK...... I can eliminate the CAS being the cause of car not starting. Why?
A) Have spark and pulse
B) Changed distributor three times and has not corrected the problem
C) Plug and Boot is fine

Let me take you back in the begining of my problem.
Car stalled after reversing a loaded trailer. It has never stalled before. I tried to restart it but all i got was turning over but no start. I thought i ran out of petrol (Gage working only when it feels like it does not help). So added a few littres out of a jerry can and got it going again. Went down to the station added $20 fuel. 5km down the road i lost exceleration but car did not stall till 5-10 seconds later. This now tells me it was more than just lack of fuel. It gave me trouble restarting it but eventualy after few attempts it got going again. Next day, stalling became more frequent and start up became harder. The Fuel pump sounded not quite right or it could have been my imagination. So i thought i was smart and bought a brand new Fuel pump and filter.
Car started imediatley but after the test drive a few hundred meters, it stalled again (lost exceleration and seconds later stalled).

Now i can eliminate the fuel pump or filter being the cause. Oh yeh, i changed the internal pump (second hand) at this time and still no luck.

advice and inspection by two diferent mechanics swore it was the CAS. Tried three different ones during the week only to get the car going for an hour and only to stall again (same symptoms) after each instalation.

So i have eliminated the CAS being the cause.

Last stall happened on princess freeway and this time my brotherinlaw with 15 years expeiriance came to my rescue. He checked the spark and pulse and it definetly was there. But now we noticed the 15 amp fuel pump fuse (blue plastic) was melted behond recognition only the metal bit of the fuse intact but from extreme heat, it was fused to the clip it was sitting it and cleaned it as much as we can with parts still melted and stuck in there. We put in another 15 amp fuse and car got going again. Bingo after waisting money on a new pump, filter, sender, 2 Distributors, it was nothing more than a 50cent fuse. Why and how these other mechanics did not pick this up i'll never know.

Problem though did not end there. It drove me 10 km down the road and guess what........ no exceleration and stalled 5-10 seconds later. Poped the bonet and fuse was burnt but not melted like the other. Put another fuse in but this time it did not help. Not only does the car not start, but i can't hear the new pump prime anymore. Disconecting the fuel hose from the motor showed no fuel coming through. So clearly now its a pump and wiring problem. But its not clear if its a new problem, or "The" problem from the start.

Any advise on how to check it before i drive an auto elec to a mental Hospital aswell, will be much aprieciated. cheers.