Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1987 white VL commodore - Do up and roadworthy

gysenn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Executive S2
Hey all.

My auntie recently gave me her 1987 white VL commodore.

I am 15 years old, sixteen in six months, so I am hoping to have it on the road by then, as my dad has refused to let me drive any of our other cars, as he is a tight arse.

Two weeks before the car was given to me, somebody reversed into the front of it while it was parked outside a supermarket.

The grill needs replacing, as does the front bumper, and we have decided that the rear one will need replacing as well.

It needs a new muffler, as the current one has a hole in it.

It has a couple of rust spots on the bonnet, and a couple of scratches on sides. The boot lid is slightly warped, as somebody broke into it to steal a spare tire (which has been replaced.

The Drivers side door lock has jagged pieces of metal on it, so it will probably need replacing to.

The fuel gauge doesn't give a reading, so we have decided it is probably something wrong with the fuel-bob.

And the grey plastic strip on the left side (which matches the front and rear bumpers...?) has a piece missing, so that will need to be replaced.

Other than that, the windscreen is fine, it goes well, has brand new tires on it (With the original 'interceptor' rims), as well as the spare, and I love it.

1. How much will all of this cost to repair and replace, and please give me some advice on doing so. I will have my dad helping me, it's not just me doing it. It would also be help-full if you could give me advice on where to get all these parts. We live in North eastern victoria, near yea, if that helps.

2. What else do I need to check to get the roadworthy? What kind of things will they pick me up on? Cost?

3. Is it worth doing a full respray? Cost?

Any other suggestions? All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic.:boxing:

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
any pics mate? good to see the damage

and welcome to the forums :D

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
yeah welcome man,,
as for your dad being a tight ass as u said
i dont think he is..... not wanting an inexperienced driver in his car, which is more susceptible to damage. i would be the same i guess..
Pics would be great and it sounds like its been well used... :p
most things u will be able to pick up from wreckers and off ebay.. as well as the forums and on calaisturbo.com.au - Powered by vBulletin
Goodluck man

gysenn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Executive S2

Attachments

• P1050552.jpg
    P1050552.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 4,075
  • Grill.jpg
    Grill.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 565
  • Rear bumper.jpg
    Rear bumper.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 728
  • Front corner bumper.jpg
    Front corner bumper.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 603
  • Warped boot.jpg
    Warped boot.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,011
  • peeled plastic.jpg
    peeled plastic.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 652
  • Keyhole.jpg
    Keyhole.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 528
  • Rust spots 1.jpg
    Rust spots 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 613
  • Rust spots 2.jpg
    Rust spots 2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 999

gysenn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Executive S2
What should I do first? I saw a front bumper set on ebay the other day for $45 dollars, but it was pick up only from the middle of Sydney, and dad didnt want to drive that far... I'll go take some more picture of the car now. Give you a good look at the interior and stuff.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
Ebay and wreckers is the place to go. Your can get full bumper sets on ebay. Door locks on ebay. Trims ebay. everything ebay lol

gysenn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Executive S2
Ebay and wreckers is the place to go. Your can get full bumper sets on ebay. Door locks on ebay. Trims ebay. everything ebay lol

Thanks mate... Yeah I was wondering if I should just look for it all on Ebay. What do you think of the car? Is it worth spending money on to use as my first car? I'm not planning to sell this later on, It has about 250,000 km's on the clock, so I will keep it until it dies, really.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
if u look after it with regular oil changes and keep on top of the cooling system etc etc and not flogg it all day rb30's last ages, strong motors man