Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1989 Ford Telstar TX5 Turbo

Project_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Thanks everyone, okay i'll do a video if you want :p

types of inlets I've messed around with:
1) Nothing attached to inlet: Ultra loud spool, metallic, chattering surge, long length - audible between -1 - 14psi
2) 15cm, 2" straight cut: very loud spool, sounds like some sort of tropical bird - not recommended
3) 17cm, 2.5" straight cut pipe: loud spool, this is your typical 'bro, hear dis'' very loud, high pitch, medium length - peaks at 4-14 psi
4) 20cm, 2.5" 45 degree bend: audible spool, medium pitch, medium volume, longer length - peaks at 0 - 5 psi
5) 17cm, 3" straight cut pipe: loud spool, low bitch, loud, short length (barking, low pitch sound) - peaks at 8 - 14 psi

If your wondering about filtration, my engine layout doesn't allow a pod filter (it's a very tight fit) so I cut up an old pod, used the material and 'sandwiched' it between metal mesh - this will filter the air but I don't recommend it if you want a nice dose.

Anyway, should I do a video inside or outside the car and what pipe?

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
My vote is for ALL the options and definitely do a video of it outside with the bonnet up and camera facing the motor

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Project_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
haha okay challenge accepted. Obviously in neutral with the bonnet up doesn't hit the same psi as whilst driving but yeah i'll do it. Do I just upload to youtube and link or?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
My vote is fit what performs the best not what sounds the best.

Project_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Yeah, that's usually the best way to go. Since the AFM is on the pressure side and their is effectively no air box, all the inlets act exactly the same. The position of the turbo means it probably suffers heat soak a lot of the time...having said that, airflow is greatly improved when driving 60km/h plus. This is where the cooler and pre-turbo AFM works best... performance wise it's a TX5 haha, i'm not aiming for performance just a good chuckle and perhaps a few looks on a good day :p

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
You know the VAF (Vane Air Flow meter they technically don't have AFM's) don't like pressurised air right? They aren't really designed for it. Just a heads up.

Project_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Very true, like a lot of delicate components when mucking about with cars. Even the compressor wheel is an old metal one liable to develop shaft play for example. I keep a few VAFs on hand in case of disaster

Hey I just noticed you have an MX6t, do you have a thread or pics anywhere?